When will update?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Pinic

When will update?

Post by Pinic »

When will update?
To put it mildly, the engine becomes obsolete

Извините за мой перевод если что не правильно)) Я люблю движок просто хочется видеть развитие и что то новое
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: When will update?

Post by CuteAlien »

Always working on it when I have time/energy left. I agree with you, but nothing much I can do really. Currently Irrlicht has mainly some maintainance going on and not much beside that. If you are interested in a spin-off which cares less about maintainance but uses more current tech, take a look at BAW Irrlicht: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... =2&t=49672

I haven't given up on Irrlicht yet (as it still works for me, so I'm using it in most of my projects), but right now it looks pretty bad when it comes to new features as there are too many maintenance problems open and I care more about those. I've also done some feature programming over the last months (working on PBR/global illumination), but it's not yet in a state where I can add it back to the engine (and had to pause working on it as another project came in between).

edit: Moving this threads as it does not belong in FAQ.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
denzelbro

Post by denzelbro »

@CuteAlien

I agree with Pinic there and probably some modern lighting techniques would be a start instead of skipping them with PBR or global illum. don't mean to question the capabilities of the current dev team, but something like lighting or material shader additions and improvements should be included by now, at least since 4 - 6 years ago

* complete normal mapped/parallaxed lighting (point/spot and directional)
* textured shadow maps
* post effects support (not addons)

my 2¢
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Your wishes are actually quite hard to satisfy without a large and complex shader/material generator system.

Plus you should really be able to roll your own lighting shaders and shadowmap manager, even if you get a ready-made one to use you won't be able to achieve good results without having to understand at least the basics of how they work.
denzelbro

Post by denzelbro »

devsh wrote:Your wishes are actually quite hard to satisfy without a large and complex shader/material generator system.

Plus you should really be able to roll your own lighting shaders and shadowmap manager, even if you get a ready-made one to use you won't be able to achieve good results without having to understand at least the basics of how they work.
everything you said in there is completely nonsense, as you still think we are living in the PS1 era. I know how they work, I'm actually using another rendering engine that has them all (it's not that hard to figure out which one and I don't stick to one engine) and I would like to see it in irrlicht as official release as well as others are requesting. Now, is it that hard to understand in your 200x mind?

btw, please stop peddling your "bawwaw" project here and try to convert every new user that comes to the forum, it's leaking to every reply of yours and it's getting really really annoying. *smh*

stars = 22, fork = 5

stats don't lie, so take a hint pal, it's not that interesting and impressive, so stop wasting your time. that's a honest advice and you can thank me later.
Last edited by denzelbro on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
denzelbro

Post by denzelbro »

ONE of these very old opengl/dx tutorials with normal mapped directional lighting and specular.

Is it that hard to look for solution on lighting methods so Irrlicht just sticks to very old pointlight normal mapped lighting?
as an example posted above pic, they are already creating tutorials for this old stuff.

*PLEASE..*

If none of the dev team are shader guys then this is understandable. end of story.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Doesn't the PerPixelLighting example do that? The lighting stuff. Shadows-maps are not yet in Irrlicht (we gave the XEffects guy who coded shadowsmaps with Irrlicht svn access, but sadly he never used it).

And yeah we didn't have the developers with time for implementing that stuff so far. I only learned about shader coding really last year (aka more shader than just changing a line or two in existing shaders, I did only that before) and about lighting calculations mostly in the last months. But currently have to work on another (non-Irrlicht VR project), so no progress there. Will get back to it once the other project is done. No promise if it works out - I'm new to that stuff and not particularly good at it. Thought I hope it will, because otherwise I will have to switch the project in which I use Irrlicht the most to another engine (and haven't found another one I like yet...) :-(

And no - a modern lighting system with good global illumination is not trivial. Though I started a few weeks before filament was released. This makes things already a lot easier :-) Then again since then NVidia came out with raytracing cards - so the landscape might now change again completely once more.
denzelbro

Post by denzelbro »

CuteAlien wrote:Doesn't the PerPixelLighting example do that? The lighting stuff. Shadows-maps are not yet in Irrlicht.

And yeah, nothing is hard - when you have the developers with time for implementing it for it. I only learned about shader coding really last year (aka more shader than just changing a line or two in existing shaders, I did only that before) and about lighting calculations mostly in the last months. But currently have to work on another (non-Irrlicht VR project), so no progress there. Will get back to it once the other project is done. No promise if it works out - I'm new to that stuff and not particularly good at it. Thought I hope it will, because otherwise I will have to switch the project in which I use Irrlicht the most to another engine (and haven't found another one I like yet...) :-(

And no - a modern lighting system with good global illumination is not trivial.
thanks CuteAlien, at least now it's clear what is the status for these most requested but older features. not sure about per pixel lighting, it seems only for pointlights when trying out the demo. for me not really expecting global illumination level stuff, just try to catch up with lighting and textured shadows/basic postprocess that is to be expected on a shader supported engine would be a big step.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

@denzelbro

If you think you can talk down to me like I'm some sort of a retard, and you know graphics so much better than me and you have the authority to tell me what can and cannot be done easily... go ahead check out the Irrlicht SVN trunk or 1.8.4 branch, put it on github or gitlab and take over the development if you're so talented.

I much anticipate your Irr 2.0 with working deferred rendering, parallax occlusion mapping and shadowmapping that scales to all scenes, then I will use it in my projects and put a disclaimer "I am a retard and I do not know how to program graphics like denzelbro does, I should shine his shoes" on every product I make ;)
denzelbro

Post by denzelbro »

devsh wrote:@denzelbro
If you think you can talk down to me like I'm some sort of a retard, and you know graphics so much better than me and you have the authority to tell me what can and cannot be done easily... go ahead check out the Irrlicht SVN trunk or 1.8.4 branch, put it on github or gitlab and take over the development if you're so talented.

I much anticipate your Irr 2.0 with working deferred rendering, parallax occlusion mapping and shadowmapping that scales to all scenes, then I will use it in my projects and put a disclaimer "I am a retard and I do not know how to program graphics like denzelbro does, I should shine his shoes" on every product I make ;)
go away, you are now trolling here. not interested in your stuff, your "challenge" and what you are babbling about,

as that github stat already proves. again, take a hint pal and stop peddling your project.

we are here for irrlicht, not your baw-wow frankenstein project.

meh, not even trying to talking you down. you're not even worth a good conversation. shoo fly.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Haven't been posting anything here for ages, just to check out once in a while and see if this forum is still alive.
Anyway, I have already given up on Irrlicht since like... 8-9 years ago after seeing not much progress going around the engine.
I still remember the main reason given by devs back then was not to break the backward compatibility when adding new features to the engine, but I don't think that is even possible as tech progresses itself at such a rapid pace (there were many feature contributions that didn't make it into the main branch, but rather staying as "addons" that get no where).

Anyway, I don't see any reason using Irrlicht anymore as I can achieve better results by spending an afternoon or two writing a vanilla OpenGL 4.x renderer without thinking about breaking backward compatibility and whatnot.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

It's about unnecessary breaking compatibility. And if you can do everything without an engine - sure, go for it. I still use Irrlicht daily.