[SOLVED] install Illricht in Linux and link to CodeBlocks

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Jh0eX

[SOLVED] install Illricht in Linux and link to CodeBlocks

Post by Jh0eX »

Hi all. I'm new and I try to have my first steps with Irrlicht.
I started by downloading the Irrlicht.zip file provided by this page; Then install CodeBlocks.
Now I have the Irrlicht 1.8.4.zip file unzipped in my downloads folder and I don't understand how to install irrlicht.
I also don't understand how to link Irrlicht to Codeblocks to make proyects or run the examples.
I'm use Ubuntu 16.04

EDIT 1: I thought that the uncompressed zip file was already the final program. I did not know that you had to do a compilation (and nobody said it in the videos or pages)
While reviewing the folders of the unzipped folder I found the folder irrlicht (which is in irrlicht-1.8.4 / source / Irrlicht) and opened a file called makefile to read it (when I saw a makefile file I assumed that I had to compile something and that's why I still it did not work, that's how it was)
Following the instructions in the file, I opened the terminal, went to the folder /home/(User)/Downloads/irrlicht-1.8.4/source/Irrlicht and executed the instruction $: make (I entered sudo make just in case)
After waiting for a file called libIrrlicht.a to be generated in that same folder (/home/(User) / Downloads / irrlicht-1.8.4/source/Irrlicht); the latter paste it into the / lib / Irrlicht folder (the Irrlicht folder creates it)
Now I guess if Irrlicht works on my computer.

EDIT 2: With what I did in "EDIT 1" I was finally able to run the example of irrlicht (before I could not)

EDIT 3: when compile irrlicht the file irrlicht.a was generated in the folder /irrlicht-1.8.4/lib/linux (that is, inside the same folder that it unzipped) and apparently that's what makes the programs run, because I just delete the folder in / lib that I had created with the file irrlicht.a, and even so I keep running the examples.

In the end it was so easy, but I did not say it anywhere. Well, I'm still going to leave this post for someone who is as ignorant as I am hahaha

regards
Last edited by Jh0eX on Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: How to install Illricht in Linux and link to CodeBlocks

Post by CuteAlien »

Go to the examples subfolder. In there are is a .cbp files - those are code::blocks project files. You can open them directly inside code-blocks and then compile from in there. And also start the examples from inside code::blocks. No need to ever use sudo for make by the way (and you shouldn't). You also shouldn't have to copy libs manually. The way c++ finds libs and headers is using include and library paths. Those are set in Makefile (when using those) or in the project files for your IDE.

Generally Irrlicht assumes some familarity with c++ coding.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm