A small game coding example / tutorial

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
mant

Re: A small game coding example / tutorial

Post by mant »

I can run the file but cannot move or shoot. Could you include howtoplay instructions?
I build Irrlicht 1.8.4 from source: make sharedlib NDEBUG=1.
polylux

Post by polylux »

Great to hear that it runs basically.

This is from the repo's readme:
You'll need a joystick to play the game. The game starts out with no enemies so you can get used to steering the cannons. Joystick button 1 fires, button 2 reloads the guns (15 seconds penalty). Pressing F9 activates the game mode which spawns a plane every 45 secs (so scan your horizon!), F10 quits game mode (same as when 'aircraft remain' is zero), F12 quits the game.
Successfully engaging a plane rewards you with 1000 points plus bonus for the distance (the further out the more points). Relevant info is shown in the top-left corner.
beer->setMotivationCallback(this);
mant

Post by mant »

Great, thanks for the support. I'm considering to translate your tutorial for my students and community members to learn it as a first game project.
Can I translate and link back to your original post?
AReichl

Post by AReichl »

Solved my problem with cAudio.
The only version that compiles on Windows with gcc/mingw "out of the box" is 2.2.0 (newer versions drive me crazy).
If i copy ALL needed dll's ( libcAudio.dll, OpenAL32.dll, wrap_oal.dll ) along FlaSim.exe, everything is fine.
polylux

Post by polylux »

Great, thanks for the support. I'm considering to translate your tutorial for my students and community members to learn it as a first game project.
Can I translate and link back to your original post?
Sure thing, reference would be great. Additionally - if you want/can - we can do it the other way round and I link to your translation or download of it.
Solved my problem with cAudio.
The only version that compiles on Windows with gcc/mingw "out of the box" is 2.2.0 (newer versions drive me crazy).
If i copy ALL needed dll's ( libcAudio.dll, OpenAL32.dll, wrap_oal.dll ) along FlaSim.exe, everything is fine.
This is VERY useful information as I have also started to compile stuff for Windows and fail hard at cAudio. Did you, by chance, succeed to compile in 64bits?
AReichl

Post by AReichl »

Not yet. I avoided 64bit until now. But this is a good reason to give it a try.
Irrlicht-64bit compiles fine - at least i have tryed that.
I will inform you here.
polylux

Post by polylux »

if this is still of use to someone, i have just updated the blog post with a link to a precompiled windows version. check it out here.

with that said, i finally forked the dormant cAudio project, equipped it with a CMake configuration that finally builds not only x86 but 64bits as well. my fork can be found here.

cheers,
p.
netpipe

Post by netpipe »

https://github.com/netpipe/AgAudio here is the portable version with insource build option.
Live long and phosphor!
-- https://github.com/netpipe/Luna Game Engine Status 95%