game menu

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
endri

game menu

Post by endri »

hello everyone
I am a beginner in irrlicht and I wanted your help to create a basic game menu in c++ with play, resume and quit buttons.
Thank you :)
greenya

Re: game menu

Post by greenya »

You need to get a pointer to IGUIEnvironment, which can be done after device creation: env = device->getGUIEnvironment(). Add window, Add buttons with parent to be the window. To see stuff on screen, you need make sure GUI gets drawn: env->drawAll() should be called after you draw scene (if any) and before driver->endScene(). After these steps you will be able to see the menu, but it will do nothing interesting. To handle events you need to device->setEventReceiver() with you custom event receiver.

P.S.: i suggest you to read code of examples which comes with Irrlicht Engine; they show how to use IGUIEnvironment, e.g. create and handle the GUI in Irrlicht. There is a good example 05.UserInterface that shows good chunk of how it can be done.
chronologicaldot
Competition winner

Re: game menu

Post by chronologicaldot »

Something like this:

Code: Select all

int main() {
irr::IrrlichtDevice* device = irr::createDevice( irr::video::EDT_OPENGL, irr::core::dimension2du(1200,800));
if ( !device ) return 1;

irr::gui::IGUIEnvironment*  env = device->getGUIEnvironment();

irr::core::dimension2du buttonSize(200,60);
irr::core::vector2di buttonCorner(200, 200);

env->addButton("New Game", irr::core::recti(buttonCorner, buttonSize));
buttonCorner.Y += (irr::s32) buttonSize.Height + 5;
env->addButton("Quit", irr::core::recti(buttonCorner, buttonSize));

while( device->run() ) {
device->getVideoDriver()->beginScene();
env->drawAll();
device->getVideoDriver()->endScene();
}