Vintage Simulator (VSIM) - 3D Lua-scripted Libretro Frontend

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
ilaksh

Vintage Simulator (VSIM) - 3D Lua-scripted Libretro Frontend

Post by ilaksh »

Vintage Simulator (VSIM) is a 3D libretro emulation frontend controlled with Lua scripts/plugins and user-specified models. It is built with Irrlicht/IrrBullet. Currently Windows only.

The basic idea is to facilitate the creation of virtual collections of vintage computers, software, manuals, etc.

This is a project that I have been working on for about 2 years and 7 months so far.

The first two screenshots are what I have for my Commodore 64C demo plugin. The other demo plugins I have more-or-less working and included are the Grid Test (coretest) plugin which will load a grid with ZX Spectrum programs (takes awhile, please be patient), the book (you can page through the C64 manual), Simple UI (basic way to launch games/programs). Also there is the TextAdept Lua editor included.

There is an extensive Lua API including things like
  • * emulation start/stop get memory/set memory
    * several core Cairo graphics features
    * arbitrary 3D model loading (thanks to Irrlicht!)
    * several other Irrlicht features such as a sky dome, shadows, lights, meshes, 3d lines, fly animation, positioning/rotating/scaling
    * mouse input
    * HTTP GET
    * timers
    * menu creation
    * Lua console
    * file dialog (lua function)
    * some physics functions

Also see the demos/screenshots on the media page including a youtube video where I run several hundred ZX Spectrum instances on the same screen.

You can download a dev snapshot (testing/educational purposes only) from https://vintagesimulator.com/index.html#download

If you download it, the menus at the top will run script functions to do stuff.

I have a website at https://vintagesimulator.com