Importing 3ds Meshes - Missing Faces And Such

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
invid

Importing 3ds Meshes - Missing Faces And Such

Post by invid »

I am new to the Irrlicht engine, and am sort of 'shopping' around for engines that might work with my ideas - so far this is the best I have used. I have already successfully imported a 3ds cube, and textured it etc. Created some helper functions in c# for easily loading meshes from my mesh directory, and textures etc.

But I created a sphere in 3D Studio Max (v.7), and booleaned a box out of it, imported it into Irrlicht, and the mesh was all messed up. Half of the sphere are just gone, and the other half had missing faces etc. The texture no longer was 'painted' onto it, and it was a solid black. So I tried just a simple sphere, same result. Most of the sphere was gone, faces missing etc. Basically any shape I imported that had any kind of curve ended up this way. If I cannot use 3D Studio Max, or even TrueSpace, I can't use this engine unfortunately. I am building my entire game world within a 3D application - separating out all the interactive / moving objects etc.

Is there something special I have to do to my .max files before I export them as 3ds?

Thanks in advance!!!!

- invid
Quall

Post by Quall »

Do you create a UV map and choose the option to "preserve max's texture coordinates" when exporting? Do you select the item you want to export, then choose "export selected" instead of just "export"?

I can't really help you too much as I am new to this is well, but I have successfully exported some .3ds models and appeared fine in the game.

btw, I suggest you get the panda .x exporter plugin, as they are better in my opinion.
invid

Post by invid »

It may be an issue of the UV map etc. - I will try this.