My3D Tools v.3.1 released (with Gile[s] exporter)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Zdimitor:
I'm trying to load the level in Giles but I get no lightmaps in Irrlicht. Which version of Giles are you using for your exporter? I tried it in 1.30 but just checked that latest release is 1.32.

thnx!

Post by Guest »

Afecelis:
I'll try your scene in Gile[s] 1.3 and told you about my results after that.

Bryan Abrams:
Check My3D example about dynamic lighting and transparensy (is it works for you?)
ZDimitor

Post by ZDimitor »

It was me...
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

I exported laguito as a 3ds file, and tried to load it in Giles but it made ir crash. So I decided to start creating my own Cornell box (simple) and I got no lightmaps loaded in Irrlicht, and the texturing is completely weird.

this is what I'm getting:
http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/sc ... /giles.jpg

I'm placing the lightmap in the "Lightmaps" folder
ZDimitor

Post by ZDimitor »

Gile[s] gives me the same error (access violation), when i try to load your scene from .3ds.

To get lightmaps .my3d scene from Gile[s] you have to:

1) Create lightmapped scene in gile[s]

2) Use My3D plugin to export it into *.my3d file

Important: Lightmaps must be called as *_lm.*

3) Copy lightmaps *_lm.* into 'Lightmaps' directory where
your *.my3d file was stored by exporter
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

great, thanks, it worked!

but then it means that larger levels can only be created via 3dsmax.

Would there be a way to make it load faster? or to get 3dsmax to generate less lightmap images (all the necessary lightmaps but gouping them, for instance 4 256x56 in 1 1024x1024) :D
ZDimitor

Post by ZDimitor »

I think you should optimize you scene:

1) You must merge in single mesh objectrs with the same material (use boolean union operation) this must decrease the meshes number in scene;

2) Adding lightmaps
- manually choose each mesh in scene
- decide is its large, meduim, small or very small (geom size as a guideline, not poly number)
- add lightmap to it (large - 512x512, small - 256x256, small 128x128 and very small - 64x64);

This may helps you.

Post by Guest »

ROCK!!!
Now, on to the simple newbie questions:
1. To be able to import, I am to copy the files:

irrlicht-stuff.h
my3d-stuff.h
somefuncs.hpp
CMY3DMeshFileLoader.cpp
CMY3DMeshFileLoader.h

...all into my \irrlicht-0.8\include folder ? and that's it? (i did see about changing the #include line in the CMY3D files)

2. I'm using max7, and when I tried out the export, it crashed max out. It did, however, still create a *.my3d file (but I haven't been able to load it to see if anything is there)
Has this happened to anyone else, or will I need to try and recompile the *.dle, and how can i find out how to do that?

Thanks.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

great tip!

I'll try merging elements with the same materials and baking textures separately according to their lightmap impact importance in the scene.

makes a lotta sense! :D

Giles also looks nice and I think it's a great and affordable alternative to get lightmapped levels into Irrlicht.

your work is very valuable.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

@guest:
download the bin versions of the exporters. They shouldn't make max crash. i've tried them in max 5,6 and 7 without a problem, whereas compiling it yourself may lead to a non-working exporter.

your procedure is right, just remember to correct the paths to the include files. and you shall be up and running in no time :D
luckymutt

Post by luckymutt »

That was me as guest up there...
I'm getting this "application unexpectedly closed" sort of message several seconds after I hit the "OK" button to export. It then asks if I want it to try and save what I was working on. There is a 40k file waiting for me (just a small test scene I did with 3 primitives)
I just copied the *dle into the \max\plugins folder.
Maybe my machine is as tired as I am. I'll see what happens in the morning.

I'm also trying to find a thread that covers the very basic "how to load a *my3d into IrrLicht" thread. I read that all i have to do is "Load *my3d file into Irrlicht with class CMY3DMeshLoader " but...uh...you know. Im a newbie. Ah, nevermind, i'll look around for some code samples. That's the best way of learning, anyway.
ZDimitor

Post by ZDimitor »

Great news!!!!

In My3D Loader fixed great bug (memory leak in creating lightmaps) - thanks to niko for it.

I guess it was a reson of big memory consumption in test application of Afecelis.

Get freshest version of My3D Loader v.3.13 from here
http://my3dproject.nm.ru

2luckymutt:
Read files named USAGE.txt, they can give you some answers.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

hehehe, those are really great news!!! :D

downloading, trying and mirroring!!!

thnx Dmitri!

testing testing testing
ps. I'm also glad Niko's keeping an eye on all this :D
Last edited by afecelis on Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luckymutt

Post by luckymutt »

well, I got the 3.13 full version, and tried to compile the example in \My3DTools\my3dexamples\ex1
but I get this:

Code: Select all

main.cpp: In function `int main()':
main.cpp:99: error: name lookup of `i' changed for new ISO `for' scoping
main.cpp:86: error:   using obsolete binding at `i'

main.cpp:252: error: invalid conversion from `int' to `const wchar_t*'
main.cpp:252: error:   initializing argument 2 of `int swprintf(wchar_t*, const wchar_t*, ...)'

make.exe: *** [main.o] Error 1

Execution terminated
**********obviously, I am doing something horribly wrong.

When I try and make my own simlpe "hello-World with my3d" it seems to compile ok, except for some linker errors:

Code: Select all

my3dtest.o(.text+0x16c):my3dtest.cpp: undefined reference to `irr::scene::CMY3DMeshFileLoader::CMY3DMeshFileLoader(irr::io::IFileSystem*, irr::video::IVideoDriver*, irr::scene::ISceneManager*)'
my3dtest.o(.text+0x1fd):my3dtest.cpp: undefined reference to `irr::scene::CMY3DMeshFileLoader::setTexturePath(char const*)'
my3dtest.o(.text+0x208):my3dtest.cpp: undefined reference to `irr::scene::CMY3DMeshFileLoader::getChildNodes()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
The MY3DExample looks absolutely AWESOME, and I can't wait to get to use this.
Many thanks to ZDimitor, and anyone who can lend me a hand.

EDIT: btw, when exporting, it would crash when I tried to add a raytraced material(from the MaterialEditor->Standard->MtlLibrary open->Raytraced->then any material therein) Is this a limitation?
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

get the source (main.cpp) to the Laguito project here:
http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/Zdimitor/main.cpp

I'm sure you'll find it useful. :D