level builder/map editor? Where do I find one?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
hopeful

level builder/map editor? Where do I find one?

Post by hopeful »

I need something I can run which has a list of all the objects I have loaded up, and lets me place them around a map.

Where do I find one? I've looked around, and ran the examples, but I don't see it.
me again

have to use quake map editor .bsp

Post by me again »

Looked around, and apparently I have to use Quake 3 map editor, which involves me buying the game.

Is there a free map editor I can get somewhere, with a program that can convert it to the required .bsp format?

And I think this information should be somewhere on the site, in a tutorial, and/or the FAQ.
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

For level editing i'm using MilkShape and cramming everything into one image file. :?
cochi

Post by cochi »

Other options beneath the q3Radiant editor (which is included in the freely downloadable Quake3 SDK, see id-software) are gtkRadiant (opensource) and Valve Hammer (The Halflife Editor, freely downloadable, think it creates Q3 maps, too).

So you don't have to buy anything... at first. For more complex tasks, programs like Milkshape will be better of course

Cya,
cochi

Post by Guest »

haven't worked with Milkshape at all... will it give you a MAP-file for future compilation by ID's tools?
hopeful

the future

Post by hopeful »

Thanks.

http://www.idsoftware.com/business/home/techdownloads/ is where all the ID stuff can be downloaded at.

Q3A Tools Quake III Arena level building and editing tools - Q3Radiant 4.5MB Win32 Download

I got that and the manual:
Q3Radiant Manual Manual and instructions for Q3Radiant - the Q3A level building and editing tools.