Max Textures to Irrlicht

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

Max Textures to Irrlicht

Post by Guest »

Heyo,

I've created a 3d model of a room in Max and want to export it as 3ds, so I can use it in Irrlicht...

My problem now is that the textures of the different objects (eg. the alarm clock; tv; bed etc) are different image files and different materials in max. But I only want to export one object and attach the exact textures like in this picture to it in irrlicht...

Is there any possibility to do so?

Many thanx in advance
jox
Bug Slayer

Post by jox »

Quick note: keep in mind that all 3ds meshes loaded into irrlicht will be flat shaded (if you use dynamic lights). So you might wanna consider another format. But since your room has mostly flat surfaces (execpt the bed) it might be ok.

For your question I let anybody else help you :) (I dont use 3ds).
It is like it is. And because it is like it is, things are like they are.

Post by Guest »

hmm is there any format you'd recommend?
and if there is one, do you know an export plugin for max if there is none by default? thnx alot :)
ntitan

Post by ntitan »

I've just started exporting my files to .X instead of .3ds. Seems to be a better format, I was having a number of problems with 3ds.

I think someone also made mention of it exporting textures better?

Here's a link to the plugin for max:
http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/direc ... loads.aspx

I too dont know how to make your textures apply to the correct portion of your object though. sorry.

Post by Guest »

so do you think it'll be better to make individual objects instead?
ntitan

Post by ntitan »

I'm not sure what would be better. I guess it depends on what you are making. It seems likely that you are going to get more control if you seperate them into individual objects. You could even apply some physics to each, it could add a lot more realism, aside from the fact I imagine it will be much easier to apply textures to individual objects rather then a whole room full at once.

I really dont know though, maybe someone who has more experience can reply?

Post by Guest »

well you wont see the room from another perspective than the shown one, so I thought it might be easier to export it as one model for the player will rather click than move around in this room...

but nevermind, i'll make seperate objects then... thnx anyways
ntitan

Post by ntitan »

I imagine if you're only going to see the scene from one angle and not be able to move around 3d style at all, you could also just render the whole thing as an image in 3dstudio max. Then just show the image in irrlicht, and make some sort of image map for it...

- Nihal

Post by Guest »

mja i thought of that idea for myself...
but that wont solve the problem...
I am sure that I will run into a similar problem sometime and then I'll curse myself for not finding a solution now...