Amazing!

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
insolence

Amazing!

Post by insolence »

I've kepy Irrlicht on my list of things to learn as I get older (16 now) and I am AMAZED at how it looks now. I watched the preview video with the flare-esk thing flying around in the middle. It's gorgeous.

Excellent work... I really have to get my shoes kicking on C# and get something cool done with this gorgeous engine :)
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

But please notice that the .NET port is currently not able to use every feature the C++ version offers. So if you want to learn C# first, you could also learn C++ instead and use a lot more features of Irrlicht then.
katoun

Post by katoun »

As you have to know, C# is based on C++ :D .
So learn C++ is nicer.
Good luck.
Kat'Oun
genesisrage

Post by genesisrage »

and C# is part of the .NET, which from what ive seen only runs on Windows without some 3rd party port?

not for sure about that, im using VS .NET, but use its C++...
if someone could clarify what .NET is exactly i would appreciate it, ive just heard way too many conflicting descriptions of .NET.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

From what I've heard about .net, it's Microsoft's answer to Java. All the .net languages use the same objects and compile to .net bytecode, which runs in an interpreter.
It's very fashionable with corporate types, but so much with die hard C/C++ programmers because it takes you further away from banging the metal and forces you to do things The Microsoft Way (tm).
afaik "VS .NET" is just the name for "Visual Studio 7", just like calling Windows NT5 "Windows 2000". I'd guess C++ compiles to binary like a normal C++ compiler.
genesisrage

Post by genesisrage »

from what ive read and seen using it, VB and C# need the .NET Framework installed to run, whereas the C++ of VS .NET doesnt.

i have a system that doesnt have the framework or any extra stuff for testing stuff like this :)

[edit] VB doesnt need the .NET for some basic simple apps ive made, but when using certain controls (dont know which ones exactly) it does then require the framework [/edit]

long live C++, dont let M$ take over :)
grayman

anyway i prefer c#

Post by grayman »

all opinions are good opinions but you know, i am trully new in programation and i am more specialized in 3d and animation, the 3d area has a lot of work too, i love make games but i dont have people to help me to make them, for that i love irrlicht because it have an space for all kind of people, c++,vb,xml,lua and c#, i prefer c# because in very short time ive done great things, i respect everybody opinions but i am waiting for irrlicht .NET so niko, you know...thanks anyway