(solved) New guy with a small(?) problem.

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Rabid Mantis

(solved) New guy with a small(?) problem.

Post by Rabid Mantis »

I've been programming a while, and I just now picked up this engine (It looked like the best one for my purposes). I'm using visual C++ 6.0.

I followed the tutorial for the first helloworld demo exactly, making sure all the files were set up properly, and it compiles fine. Then I ran the program - That little console pops up fine and says "Irrlicht Engine version 0.9... yadda yadda.... Press any key to continue", and this error occurs:

Debug Error!

Program: ..es\Microsoft Visual Studio\MyProjects\demo 1\Debug\demo 1.exe
Module:
File: i386\chkesp.c
Line: 42

The value of ESP was not properly saved across a function call. This is usually a result of calling a function declared with one calling convention with a function pointer declared with a different calling convention.

(Press Retry to debug the application)

Did I forget to do something?
Thanks in advance. And I like what I see so far, if I can get past this error.

...and on the second example, after i compile, build and run it, I get this message on the console :

DirectX9 Driver was not compiled into this dll. Try another one.
Error: Could not load built-in Font.

That one sounds like an easy fix, but I don't know what it is :p

*edit* okay, i've been going through and building all the examples out of the sample cpp files, and with every example it either gives that esp error or the driver not compiled error. I see that I need to remake the dll, but I havent figured out how yet... i just found a thread that basically said "search the forum", which is what i'm trying to do. anyone got a link to the instructions, or could someone just send me the fixed dll?

i did some searching, and the esp error supposedly comes from conflicting versions of the dll, but I've only just downloaded this for the first time... how could I have more than one version?
Last edited by Rabid Mantis on Sun May 08, 2005 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jox
Bug Slayer

Post by jox »

Did you maybe by accident take the dll from the bin/DevCpp folder instead of the one from bin/VisualStudio?
It is like it is. And because it is like it is, things are like they are.
phi

Post by phi »

I would suggest, copying bin/VisualStudio/Irrlicht.dll to the example directory, where there is the source of the current example project.

Did you try to use a different renderer... is DX9 installed on your computer?
Rabid Mantis

Post by Rabid Mantis »

jox wrote:Did you maybe by accident take the dll from the bin/DevCpp folder instead of the one from bin/VisualStudio?

yeah... doesnt it always happen that you dont get an answer until JUST AFTER you figure it out? :p I wasnt aware there was more than one version of the dll. Someone should put that in the sticky so other new people dont use the wrong one too.

thanks