Irrlicht killing Windows display driver?!

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Switalski

Irrlicht killing Windows display driver?!

Post by Switalski »

I've been playing around with Irrlicht for a while now, and really like it. However, a really strange thing has happened to me three times now:

just when i hit alt+F4 to exit the Irrlicht application the whole windows display just dies. I.e. the monitor just goes black. I have a dual display and can see windows on my television instead. And, I've tried to activate my monitor this way, but the only thing that gets the display back to the monitor is to reinstall the GFX-card drivers. I have a Radeon 9600XT, using Windows XP SP2.

Is this a known bug? Or, do you have any ideas why this is happening?
MeisterK

Post by MeisterK »

I've the same OS with exactly the same graphic card (with two TFT attached)

I' using the newest Catalyst driver ATI. Now working since 2 month and I never had such a problem.

Sry, but no idea what might it be ._(
genesisrage

Post by genesisrage »

i would double check to make sure you have the most recent Catalyst driver. im using XP Pro SP2 with a 9800XT and never had a problem (also using dual monitors)
bearSoft

Post by bearSoft »

propl. lies in the dual monitor setup
Have u tried to use:

Code: Select all

device->closeDevice(); 
        break; 
on a key (eg like ESC) for a shutdown ?
Regards.
Tech: win98se| 320mb ram| abitbe6| 433mhzceleron| atiRadeon7000.64mb| soundblaster125| dx9.0b | devCPP | IRR 0.12.0 |
Switalski

Post by Switalski »

I have been using the latest Catalyst drivers. After the second "crash" I went for some older drivers, but the same thing happened again.
This has happened maybe... hmmh.. three times out of a, probably, a few hundred shutdowns. So, it's definitely not happening very frequently.
device->closeDevice();
break;
Thanks, I'll try this.
Aleyer

Post by Aleyer »

I had this happened 2 times already not a long ago, the last time - yesterday. The MeshViewer example worked (irrlicht 1.4) (as well as Blender, Photoshop and so on), then I launched IrrEdit 1.4alpha, found out that I had forgotten to exit MeshViewer, seitched to it and pressed close button of XP window. Then the screen turned off. Hybernating the system and waking it helped to turn the display on. MeshViewer was closed and everything worked fine. I have ATI X1650, Windows XP SP2, both irrlicht progs were running using D3D9.