Define "Advanced"

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!

How should the advanced forum be administered?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:41 pm

Move any post that a mod feels is basic to the Basic Forum
77%
Point out that the post is inappropriate but leave the post where it is.
4%
Do nothing! Anarchy rules!
19%

Total votes: 26

saigumi

Define "Advanced"

Post by saigumi »

Ok, I've been seeing a lot of posts recently that I ready to lay some smack down on and move to the basic forum.

Since programming is a very broad topic, It's been hard for me to choose a skill level of the seperation between basic and advanced as well as what to do with some of the posts.

A IRC programming group I share coding with have what we call the "1 Minute Google Rule". If the answer to your question can be answered in less than 1 minute on Google, don't ask it. If you do, you get kicked from the channel (but can instantly rejoin.) We also keep our forums well seperated to keep too much fluff and frequently re-asked question where people who want to deal with them can, but experts don't get caught in 3 pages of posts with subjects of "HELP ME!!!! I FOUND BUG IN C++" and bodies of "I keep getting a null pointer exception when I divide zero by 100! C++ is broken!".

I liked this because I could answer the question in a complex and psuedo-code manner and wouldn't get back "What is a linked list? Can you give me source for that?" Then, in the basic area, I knew that there would be a certain degree more of hand-holding and I knew I wouldn't be belittling someone if I explained something out.

So... lend me your input.
Last edited by saigumi on Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crud, how do I do this again?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

That's a problem in lots of forums, for example at a forum I am reader and poster from time to time, the usf (http://www.usf.de). It's difficult to say what a newbie-question is and what not. I chose 'Move any post that a mod feels is basic to the Basic Forum', because that's on of the job of a moderator. :) I only would try not to make people angry of moving their posts, telling them that they are not advanced users. :)
November235

Post by November235 »

It's important that basic posts and their answers are in the right forum - that way new users are more likely to see their question, and answer, before they ask it - it'll be where they're expecting it to be.

As for offending people, you can't please everyone. Moderating a forum always involves a certain amount of getting slated for your decisions. Generally, in my experience, people don't get pissed off if you move it but answer it politely - a couple of weeks later they'll understand.
November235 - Are you in FINAL DENIAL?
Land - Air - Sea
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

Or rather define basic, there is many differen't types of basic, and advanced. Basic could simply mean how do I start the int main() part of my code. Its impossible to define basic or advanced. I ask questions that are advanced when it has to do with modifying the oringal irrlicht code or plus its nearly impossible to know if its a "simple" or "advanced" question when it has to do with bugs in a persons code; due to the fact the person sees nothing wrong with it and thus asks advanced users to see if they can find any problems with it. Plus I don't think many sites on google would explain tons of info related to the irrlicht engine; not big enough yet.
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

They are both defined on the index page...

Beginner's Help:If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

Advanced Help:You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine? Here you'll get answers. No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!

Just move 'em, thats what a moderator is for...