Beginner help

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
aradu

Beginner help

Post by aradu »

Hi.

I've been playing around with Irrlicht (without knowing exactly what I've been doing) and made a few simple examples. My programming knowledge in C++ is pretty good but I still can't grasp the basics of the engine. What I think lacks is a beginner guide in which explanations of e.g. what a Scene node is, how the engine is structured (in a basic way) and more. I've been reading the HelloWorld example but I don't think it goes through the basics, which you need to understand before you can start a bigger project.

I know it's probably hard to answer to this post but I'd really like to learn Irrlicht from the very basics, so I just don't write what's being written in a tutorial.

Thanks for your help. :S
Armen138

Post by Armen138 »

the easiest way to get started is just to start modifying the collision detection example.
after a while of experimenting(try some typical FPS stuff, walking around, put a gun in front of the camera, change the camera controls, etc), it all becomes crystal clear :)
if you're looking for me, start looking on irc, i'm probably there.
X_for_Extra

Post by X_for_Extra »

Information overload?:D

A node is something that exists in the 3D space.. in the scene. A node can be a model or a camera or anything. They are called nodes because they are handled in a tree structure. So every node has a parent node, and can have child nodes.
And when you do something to a parent the children will also be affected. Which is good because if you put a sword as the child of a ninja model, you dont have to calculate how to maove the sword everytime you move the ninja.
Should put something witty here I suppose.