Tokamak Scene Node

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
VeneX

Post by VeneX »

Could you please include the VC++ files, I couldn't get him working.
Visit my website @ www.venex.be
Plethora project will be added to the site
AMD AthlonXP 2600+, 512MB DDR, Radeon M10 (mobile 9600) PRO 64MB, WinXP
Boogle

Post by Boogle »

Niko: Thanks! Exams will be done soon and I'll have time to create the joint scene node and finish this off.

VeneX: Sure, but I'll have to create a new project as the files are currently in my game project. I'll do that later today (must go study in a few minutes), or possibly Friday. Most likely later today though.
Boogle

Post by Boogle »

VeneX wrote:Could you please include the VC++ files, I couldn't get him working.
I have made a quick VS.NET project for it, with a couple of objects that collide with each other and break a bit.

http://boogle.serveftp.net:1700/TSN.zip
VeneX

Post by VeneX »

Really thanx but, there is still a windows xp error massage whit send/don't send (you know), Do you know what this is?

edit: sorry, the textures and models were in the wrong folder :oops: .
Boogle

Post by Boogle »

Cool, so it works?

Post by Guest »

Yes, thanx it works!
VeneX

Post by VeneX »

sorry the guest is me
crazedlunatic

Tokamak and Irrlicht

Post by crazedlunatic »

I've looked at the tutorial and at the Scene Node. I want to implement terrain mesh collision in my game engine however. I have done so with the help of many other tutorials on the net but I'm finding a few overshadowing problems that I can't seem to eliminate:

(1) My rigid bodies rotate into the mesh sometimes or sit partially in the mesh.
(2) I'm trying to get a simple tank-like object to follow the terrain using a bounding box. The idea is to try to keep the tank at the slope of the terrain which should just happen naturally. Instead, the tank flips around wildly as if its mass or inertia or something is screwed up. The only tradeoff I've been able to make is to get the tank to stop rotating, but then it stays perpendicular to gravity as it goes up the side of a hill.

Any ideas? I want to make my rigid body act like a tank following terrain.. that's it, but it's very difficult to get that it seems.

My only ideas at this point are: (1) my Irrlicht mesh to Tokamak neTriangleMesh conversion may be flawed (I borrowed from the ODE integration tutorial) or (2) Something is screwy with the rigid body code for setting rotation and/or position. The only real difficult thing there was the Quaternion to angle conversion. I'm about ready to throw away my last week of work and try another engine!! (Newton or ODE)
crazedlunatic

Found out the problem with my terrain collision

Post by crazedlunatic »

It was the quaternion to angle conversion. There are many incorrect implementations floating around in various forums. The worst are the ones that just take x, y, and z from a quaternion and throw them straight into a vector of rotation values. This is what the Tokamak Integration tutorial does and I don't believe that is correct. You have to account for the w value using a few trig functions to properly convert x, y, and z. Combining that with learning a little more about the restitution parameter (which was hard to find documentation on), I was able to create a material that has less bounce. That solved all my problems and gave me some decent IrrTok powered terrain following physics. Let me know if anyone needs help with similar problems.