Rotating billboard scene node (mariokart style)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
bitplane
Admin

Rotating billboard scene node (mariokart style)

Post by bitplane »

I just made my very first scene node :)

plant life, asteroids and bits of explosions and stuff that are almost in 3d.

rotation frames are on the x axis, animation frames on the y axis. only ^2 bitmaps are supported. animation is untested at the moment until i automate making the bitmaps. I'm not sure which way it's facing at the moment either! (only just got it working)

I stole Omaremad's getTargetAngle function from the AI node and learned lots from Emil Halim sprite classes, thank you for those :)

source code and text exe here:
http://www.bitplane.net/files/irrlicht/ ... lboard.zip

this is my first c++ class, so speed/layout/feature suggestions are welcome :)
X_for_Extra

Post by X_for_Extra »

Nice.

If anyone else, like me, get a Dx8 error when you try to run this, just substitute the irrlicht DLL with the win32-gcc one. The demo uses Open GL.
Should put something witty here I suppose.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

oops.. those dlls had directx linked but I didn't include the dx dlls. fixed now
X_for_Extra

Post by X_for_Extra »

BTW, Can this be used to make Y-axis aligned billboards with only one frame? Thats something I've been missing.
Should put something witty here I suppose.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Kickass!!! great work Bitplane!

I think it has a lot of potential. :D

linux version here:
http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/fi ... ane.tar.gz
katoun

Post by katoun »

I gess it might be usefull for rain particules.
Kat'Oun
bitplane
Admin

D'oh!

Post by bitplane »

guys in the chat room (cant remember who, either armen or mm i think) said it's alread been done in NX++, they're called "axial billboards" arrarently. it was lots of fun to make anyway.. and i'm glad you all like it :)

As for the use, I've had this wierd vision of mini billboard tanks with rotating turrets, and armies of tiny soldiers made of 3 parts with comical facial expressions and hard-man stances, being blown to bits by the player who is high in the sky flying an alien ship... but that's at least one game away! :D

X- single frame has a bug at the moment, I think adding "lastimagex=-1;" to the constructor should fix it, but I'm working away with no compiler so it will have to wait til the weekend. :(