Real curved surfaces?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Phunk

Real curved surfaces?

Post by Phunk »

Hello, Im wondering since the new version of irrlicht came out, should the curved surfaces in the Q3 map that came with the SDK be really curved, or is this implemented later? I'm asking this because I just see a plane wich is subdivided in 3 staight planes(there was a void in the map there in the older engine versions, so I assume this are the curved surfaces), nothing is curved. But maybe it is just my card lacking the support for it(a ATI radeon 7200) I've tried both openGL and DX9 but it gives the same result. And the game Q3 showed the surfaces just perfectly. Is it the map, graphics card, or the engine who lacks the surfaces
Gr. Robin
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

No, you are right, this are the 'curved surfaces'. They are simply displayed at a very low detail level. You can increase detail by changing two parameters in the .bsp loader, but I did not create a method for changing this at runtime.
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

I know this thread is long dead, but what would those two parameters be, i can't find them in the source.
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Search for CQ3LevelMesh::createCurvedSurface, there you find two values: sstep and tstep.