IrrAdventure, an adventure game maker

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
phrounz

IrrAdventure, an adventure game maker

Post by phrounz »

My last creation, IrrAdventure, is an adventure game maker, which allows you to create your own myst-like adventure game. No programming is required, you must only edit two xml files, and add images and sound.
And of course, it is freeware.
It has been made with Irrlicht and Audiere, and it is including a full example game.

Warning : The tutorial is in French. I will translate it when I'll have time to. If you think it is great, I will maybe improve it and create an entire web site for it.

http://phrounz.chez.tiscali.fr/index.ph ... enture.txt

Post by Guest »

really funny Idea
alelink

Post by alelink »

Hello!
What wonderful work!

can you explain me the "magic" behind "widgets"?
I've haven't saw the source code yet.

thanks
Alessandro
area51

Post by area51 »

A very interesting project, certainly worth a dedicated website. :D
________
Herbal Vaporizers
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phrounz

Post by phrounz »

IrrAdventure has been updated, with now the tutorial in English.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

This is an absolutely brilliant idea

I've been meaning to make a game like myst and I LOVE it when people make game editors for all the noob/lazy folk like myself.

I could have done this... but would I have had the time?? probably not!

Now it's a definite possibility and hopefully will be fun to do in my spare time.

++phrounz;

and I haven't even finished downloading it yet. 8)
Last edited by Midnight on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

ok I've spent a whole 10mins and I see some strange things.

firstly - it runs slow as hell... maybe it's the mouse movement.

secondly - it appears that it's entirely image based...uhhh did I miss something? isn't this suppose to be a 3d graphics engine? whats with all the 2d bullshit???

then i think to myself the origin of the creator... :(

ok it's still a good project and I'm pretty sure (due to a few bugs caused by scratches on my myst disc) that this IS designed the same way as myst however the more I think about it the less reason I see for doing a game like this.

the only reason I can think of is for resolution.. or to make it run on a non-3d graphics intensive system... anyone into game design should have at LEAST a decent amount of ram and graphics card... I know we aren't all rich but then again maybe some of you people should reconsider your lifestyle and priorities.

I'm going to spend a fair amount of time analyzing this project and possibly make an attempt at improving it and/or creating my own adventure game "EDITOR".

not sure WHY you labeled it an engine... doesn't seem to power anything just manipulate what already exists.

these are only my first impressions don't take it too harshly most of this could just be my misinterpretations.
phrounz

Post by phrounz »

firstly - it runs slow as hell... maybe it's the mouse movement.
No, there are some memory problem. In fact, if you have not 512 MB RAM on your computer, the game will quickly be slow :-( . You can change the resolution modifying config.xml file, but it will probably not help. I will try to improve it.
secondly - it appears that it's entirely image based...uhhh did I miss something? isn't this suppose to be a 3d graphics engine? whats with all the 2d bullshit???
Hum, of course, it has been created to make games like Myst 3, and NOT 3D real-time games. Irrlicht 3D engine is only used to create a "skybox" to show the background.

In fact, IrrAdventure has just been made to give to non-programmers the hability to create their own adventure game.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hehe, funny idea :)
katoun

Post by katoun »

How about Resident Evil?it is half 2D half 3D ...
Or how about Alone In The Dark 4 ?very nice effects and gameplay and very nice enviroment.
That type of games can be made with Irrlicht too by using layers of billborded textures with alpha for static objects ,3d objects for dynamic ones and fixed cameras and of course a renderer for the enviroments, a modeling tool from wich to export the level data with wich to make colision for the dynamic objects and finaly a lot of work to make the levels, to putt the layers in place, bla bla..
Kat'Oun
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

btw, it'd be really interesting if this could be used for real 3d games....

I'm interested in that possibility..
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com

Post by Guest »

IrrAdventure has been (again) updated.
It has less memory problems and you can now create animated mechanisms.
Imari

Post by Imari »

Thanks for making this program, Phrounz! I am not a fan of shooters, but I love the Myst-style games.

I'd really like to try out your program, but it appears that the link is broken. Would you check it, please?
Thanks again!
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

It's alot faster now and I could actually see building "something" with this but like myst it truely needs animations .. short videos (with live actors?) in quicktime format or something at least thats what myst uses.

without quicktime or flash or something to give it animation you can kiss the most important part of a myst game goodbye.. the machinema!

your button collision is very inacurate as well using nothing but circles if i understand correctly makes for very odd feeling buttons and the overwhelming urge to make all of ones buttons round.. eh.

reguardless this is a piece of art and I'm sure a decent amount of work.

for your effort BRAVO!!

now finish what you've started and make us all proud.
Imari

Post by Imari »

Hi Phrounz,
I was able to download your IrrAdventure and have been playing around with it a bit. To the best of my knowledge, there is no other game engine (other than AdventureMaker) that that allows for the use of 360 degree panning and the use of pre-rendered panoramas. I hope that you'll continue to develop the program.