GameDev.net acquires NeHe Productions

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
vgmdev

GameDev.net acquires NeHe Productions

Post by vgmdev »

Some OpenGL News...

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=328712

"Nehe Productions is the leading OpenGL resource focusing on the beginner- to intermediate-level programmer. With over 60 articles and tutorials, 100 downloads, and programming language conversions for most of the content, NeHe has been deemed by many as the premier resource for learning OpenGL and has received numerous accolades from teachers, students, and professionals alike."
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

I hadn't heard of that website. It looks great tho.
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

Wow, This could be a good thing. Maybe we will see some better tutorials in the future. Not that Im saying they are bad!
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
Electron

Post by Electron »

Personally I doubt its gonna change much of anything, just a difference in management. There may be some new stuff added, but i don't think major changes are in store. From GDNet Direct
NeHe will continue to operate as an independent website under the management of GameDev.net
Although some changes will be made, we will continue to make NeHe's tutorials and other information freely available. We will also be working to add new content to the site.”
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars

Post by Guest »

yes i think nehe is great too, its been a great learning resource for me and it still is! :D

but i think they could really get some new tutorials because most of them are already a bit old.

ps: whe is the nehe guy who writes the tutorials never using classes? i always thought that classes are much more handy than programming without them. or am i not able to use classes with opengl??? o.O

ps2: no time, have to go :D
vgmdev

Post by vgmdev »

How to do that with opengl? OpenGL is not OO it's just Win32 api + opengl and thats it.
pex

Post by pex »

OpenGL is written in C but of course you can use OO with opengl. take irrlicht as an example (and logic).
Maybe Jeff didn't use classes so it'll be in C code or for making it less complex (it is online).
but i dont think it matter for the learning (it matter in projects).
And OpenGL isn't win32+OpenGL. its portable and you use win32 a bit if you want to use it in windows.

We don't need these tutorials a lot (the Flag tutorial is nice) but its intersting what will be the next nehe tutorials if you ask me :)
TheHitchhiker

Post by TheHitchhiker »

Good news. I also started with NeonHelium.
Use the Source!