Simple fog...

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
Serg Nechaeff

Post by Serg Nechaeff »

oh gosh, dont mention crystal space, it took me a week to realize i am a life away from compiling the simplest 3d application, with irrlicht i was able to fly through a decent scene of my own within a day :) Maybe the Niko's way was to simplify our (lamers' and newbies') life? :lol: The engine will collapse only if noone will release games using irrlicht :shock:
http://www.javazing.com
P-III-950, WinXP, GeForce FX5600 128 MB ForceWare 52.16, DX9, Eclipse IDE, JRE 1.6
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

I agree with Serg Nechaeff, many people start a project and never finish it. You see my Galactic Racer project? (link to the site on my Signature) That will be completed before March. So hopefully that'll be a successful game created with Irrlicht. There's alot of games in development with Irrlicht on the links page. I hope they are all completed.
So if there aren't any completed games with Irrlicht... no one will want to use the engine and the community will begin to die. Over the past few months i've seen the Irrlicht Forums get more and more members every day. People are starting to try out Irrlicht and the demos avaliable. Its all in the quality of the game demos, people look for "eye candy". The easier Irrlicht is to use then the quicker people can finish their game/project and go back to work on improving things. (in my opinion...)
Programmer of the Irrlicht Scene Editor:
Homepage - Forum Thread
Version 2 on its way!!
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

While i agree strongly with cochi and sirshane, i have to also agree with Serg. My game will be completed (in version 1.0) by the end of March. One of the features that drew me towards this engine was that there were many demos and example of real world games available.

--The Robomaniac

vivre la CVS!
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

Robomaniac wrote: My game will be completed (in version 1.0) by the end of March.

--The Robomaniac

vivre la CVS!
Do you have a website yet? (i'd like to check it out, I look through the development of games often so I wanna add yours to my list)
Homepage - Forum Thread
Version 2 on its way!!
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

I'm in the process of putting together a good looking web page and server, but for now, the web page is www.eve-corp.com/centaurforce
VeneX

Post by VeneX »

I can say you, I will absolutely complete my first techdemo :D .
I don't promise about the rest but, it's my hobby so you can be sure :lol:
Visit my website @ www.venex.be
Plethora project will be added to the site
AMD AthlonXP 2600+, 512MB DDR, Radeon M10 (mobile 9600) PRO 64MB, WinXP
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Sorry i'm a little late w/ the reply, but i'm using directx, but opengl doesn't work either, and i tried changing the second param to false, but that didn't work either. Also idk what error it is, when i try to debug nothing happens.

--The Robomaniac
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

I had a problem with my game crashing without warning too. It depends on the device and color bit. (with OpenGL 1.2 24bit Galactic Racer will crash..) so create an options menu and use the Software Engine before launching the real game.
Homepage - Forum Thread
Version 2 on its way!!
Chev

Post by Chev »

Niko has a clear and concise list of features that HE wants to implement. It's his project. Out of ~70 features that he has planned for 1.0, I see all but 17 of them in COMPLETED status. He continues to implement a few features with each incremental release. Nothing is stopping anyone from posting or sending code to Niko for him to look over if they want to help out. I think too many of you are looking at this as a business project(Re: "Its gonna fail if....") which it is not.
R00mpel

Post by R00mpel »

2All: Irrlicht is a great engine, note that it is FREE and OPEN SOURCE!
2DarkWhoppy & Robomaniac: Uhm... That's really strange... :? I'll try to do something about it...
The only thing to fear is running out of beer!
SuryIII3D_guest

Post by SuryIII3D_guest »

Of course it's great !
And those who think that it's design is broken or the code is written poorly
should have i little respect to Niko who's giving his hard work and source for free so some "great coders" can look into it and make conclusions how awful it is..hmm guys you should look at some commercial's engines code if ever availible :P
I think the engine is very proffesionaly coded and documented , i myself am an complete C++ nOob but after some hours spent digging the source i was able to understand it and even made some modifications in the DX part ..(thanks for the comments Niko)

As for the engine's API i think it's extremely easy but i think some advanced calls would do it more powerful ie. some functions that return the DX device , D3d, DDraw etc pointers so we can manipulate the rendering in our games code if needed.

About the scene graph implementation ..well i think there is no need to think how it should be designed and structured - there was a 3D engine made by Microsoft and it's called D3DRM ..this is the greatest scene graph implementation i've ever seen and i think if Niko manage to implement it in Irrlicht this would be just great..!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/defau ... d3dapi.asp

@R00mpel : did you managed to compile TV tutorials with VC++ 7.0 ?
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Ok, this thread has gotten off-topic... so, I have created a new topic to continue this discussion with.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... =5000#5000
Crud, how do I do this again?
R00mpel

Post by R00mpel »

2DarkWhoppy & Robomaniac: Uhm... I hadn't found the source of the problem, which video display cards have you got (if not a secret)?.. Anyways, i'm really in short of time :(
SuryIII3D_guest: Only in VC++ 6.0...
The only thing to fear is running out of beer!

Post by Guest »

:cry: can't get it to work on my ati radeon 7500M
compiles ok but doesn't show any fog i do the following
begin scene, enable fog, draw stuff, end scene.

any ideas? thanks
moni
deps

Post by deps »

you only need to enable the fog once.