Who is everybody?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Chev

Post by Chev »

Name: Kevin Phelps
Project: Reisender
Languages: None yet :oops:

I currently program for the fun/challenge of it. Currently, looking at my code induces vomitting. I will be taking a class in C++ soon because Irrlicht has inspired me. I'm hoping I can contribute back to the community after I learn a bit more :D .

Hi everyone! :D
Francis tHe Barbare

Post by Francis tHe Barbare »

Name: François Courmont
Language: c, learning c++, HTML, a little php, javascript, basic
BradB

Post by BradB »

Name : Brad Beveridge

Graduated my local university 3 years ago and have been working as an embedded programmer since then. I spend most of my work time tooling around with ARM chips, WinCE drivers and system boot loaders.
I spend what little free time I have playing around with games/engine programming.

Brad
Luke923

C:\>WHOAMI

Post by Luke923 »

Name: Oddly enough, not Luke...
Vocation:cisco Engineer for 6 years who does some programming on the side.
Languages:I started out on the old C-64 (I was the only person I knew who got excited when slashdot reported Geos became open-source) only God knows when writing in BASIC. Grew to Pascal/Delphi, then evolved to C/C++. I've been at C/C++ since '93.
"Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which could only have originated in California."
- E.W. Dijkstra
enforceman

Post by enforceman »

name: Tom
loc: Germany, Dresden
lagguages: c++, basic (casio cfx-9850G), bash script

I use Irrlicht for a 3D jump'n run and a game-editor. It works on linux and should work on all other platforms Irrlicht will support in future.

regards, Tom
anarkavre

Post by anarkavre »

Name: John
Languages: C++, C#, Java, HTML, and some others

Started programming at the age of 10.
"Without curiosity and knowledge, the mind is a vast void. Without the mind, curiosity and knowledge are nonexistent."
mq

Post by mq »

Name: Michael Kuck
Languages: Pascal/Delphi, Q-/VisualBasic, C/C++, Java, PHP, a bit assembler, i don´t know, ... ;-)

I started programming on computers at the age of 11 with pascal. Ok, I have made some experience on an old, programmable casio calculator from my father when I was 7 or so *g*
I have been developing a couple of games and tools, but occasionally to the end :oops:
I am currently working on a game together with a friend, but it is not public yet :/
To get more information about me and some of my old projects visit http://stoerbild.hopto.org

greets,
mq ;-)
Last edited by mq on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[Knowledge is king] ;-)
AlexL

Post by AlexL »

Name: Alexander Loren
Languages: HTML, Java, PHP, PERL, WDL, BlitzBasic, C++
About Me: Started with HTML and Java when I was 12, shortly after that I moved into PHP . Got Conitec's 3D Game Studio a year later and have since then used Blitz3D and Torque. Currently I am using Torque and Irrlicht for two of my projects :D
Last edited by AlexL on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Name Tony Young
Age 24
Location Twin Cities, MN, USA
Specialties / Languages BASIC, C, C++, Assembly, Lots of Programming stuff like that - Also into electronics - embedded systems, FPGAs, microcontrollers, etc.. (Check out www.rabbitsemiconductor.com if you're into this stuff too - VERY cool products over there).

I have a theory about us computer geeks. You notice how alot of older grandpas out there are into cars? We're talking guys born in the early 1900s to about 1950 or so. They were born while the car was taking off and the latest/greatest thing for an individual to own. Well - our generation's 'car' is the computer. We're all going to be 70 years old someday sitting around in a coffee shop talking about how we souped up our computers etc, just like today's grandpas talk about cars.

Anyhow - with that said - I started out with a Timex Sinclair TS-1000 as a toddler. I just played games on that bad boy in all its cassette tape, black and white block graphics, no sound glory. 3 yrs old was a little young to start programming! The TI/99/4A was a huge step up. It had sound and a really cool speech synthesizer for its time. You could imagine my amazement playing a space shooter that actually said "Press fire to begin", "Warning - Alien Craft Approaching!" in a clear female voice in 1983. The mid 80s were that golden era of magazines like 3-2-1 Contact and Home Computing where readers sent in their BASIC programs. So I got my start spending hours typing in BASIC code with no idea what any of it does.. lol - boy was I pissed when the computer froze up. Saving to a cassette was pretty crazy too. Anyhow, once I finally got into GW-BASIC and/or Q-BASIC in MS-DOS a few years later, I was hooked and actually learned how to really program. Somehow I discovered a C compiler in a Computer Shopper magazine (remember those? They used to be 1000+ pages before the internet made them obsolete!) and convinced my dad to order it - I knew that it created executables that were faster than using a basic interpreter and that's what I wanted. Other than that I had no clue what C was but figured I'd learn. That was in 6th grade about 14 years ago. I've been hooked ever since.

Now I'm a degreed computer engineer - doing software, test & measurement integration, etc.. in industry but still enjoying a little game programming on the side. It was depressing for a few years to see the ease of programming state of the art games disappear for the individual. 3D acceleration and DirectX took off, but Q-Basic and simple assembly language programming fell behind. Finally everyone is getting the technology and we're hitting a plateau where everyone has access to it again. The people who know what is going on have produced programs like BlitzBasic/DarkBasic for the beginners and open source has made many good things accessible to everyone. It feels like another golden age of homebrewed games is here again finally. Libraries like Irrlicht sure make it easy! I've never had the desire to learn low level DirectX, etc.. and spend such a long period of time just to be able to get where Irrlicht has us all today. All hail Niko for inventing the wheel once for us all.

I also really enjoy hardware stuff. I made a streaming network MP3 player with video output from scratch in college. That included board layout, soldering fine pitch surface mount components to the board, and figuring out all the electronic interfaces from scratch. I basically hand-wired everything to a printed circuit board that I designed and it looked somewhat like a motherboard in the end. Very fun stuff. The ultimate fun would be to combine 3D programming with my hardware knowledge somehow. Maybe create some sort of robotic network controlled with an Irrlicht/sockets based interface. Why? Because I'm a geek that had a TS-1000 instead of a blanket or pacifier when I was 2.

Anyhow - I figured a scary number of you people could relate to all this geekdom so I figured it was worth a lengthy post.

Ciao

-Tony
darkliquid

Post by darkliquid »

Name Andrew Montgomery
Age 20
Location Poole, Dorset, England
Specialties / Languages BASIC, C, C++, PIC,8086,Z80 Assembly, I'm into embedded systems and electronics in general. I'm also interested in clustering and distributed computing.

Grew up with an Amstrad 464 CPC which I started programming with at 5 years old, never looked back since! I'm cureently designing/building a portable MP3 player (hardrive based) at Uni, and writing a networkable Battleships game using Irrlicht for my Software Development/Analysis course.

Games programming-wise,I have little experience. I wrote an RPG engine in QBASIC using the Future Libs, all 32-bit colour and what not but it never saw the light of day. But its all fun, so I just keep on cracking at it till I finally get something decent.
http://www.darkliquid.net - Blog, art, poetry
PadrinatoR

Post by PadrinatoR »

Name: Sergio
Languages: VB, C/C++, video-games oriented languages (DIV/Fenix, DarkBASIC, Blitz3D) and Spanish xDD
There are only 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't

--------------------------------------------

Peter Müller

Post by Peter Müller »

Name: Volker Kokula
Languages: Assembler, VCompile (my own language ;) ), C/C++, Forth, Pascal/Delphi, Java/JavaScript, Basic and some other Scriptlanguages like HTML, FlashActionScript, ect.

Coding since 1999, first in QBasic, later in Pascal an C++ / Assembler
http://www.games-forge.de - Die Community für Nachwuchsprogrammierer
Tels

Post by Tels »

This is very interesting.

After seeing that the average here is probably under 20, I feel now very old.

Forgot when I started, but it was on a KC-85/2 an eastern germany 8 bit computer. (64 Kbyte (yes, kbyte) memory (IIRC), CPU called U880, basically a Z80 clone) I still remember it took days to do some mandelbrot fractals - from day to day I would turn on the black&white TV and see how far it got...

I did assembler (fairly a bit, I memorized the 8 bit mnemonics so that I could "code assembler" by embedding the bytes into BASIC DATA lines) and BASIC on it.

Later I got my first 286 (with EGA, which I swapped one week later for a VGA because I was blown away from the 320x200x(256 colors) "photos" I saw on a friends computer). Did then x86 assembler (a lot), (Borland) Pascal (also more than it is good), C.

Nowadays I do mostly Perl and C (or XS). I also try to get some work done, instead of Learning Yet Another Programming Language.

Damn, I am so old, that I have done so many things that I already forgot a lot of them... 8)
Perl + Irrlicht + Audiere = Game: http://bloodgate.com/perl/game
pex

Post by pex »

Name: Amir
Languages: Perl, HTML(yuck), learning C++, some of GML (yuckest!) and Hebrew XDDD (the spanish smiley)
About me: I began and done learn Perl this year (15), before 2-2.5-3 years i used in Game Maker so i remember some in their own programming language (called GML). just before many days i decided to leave Game Maker and move to Irrlicht :)
em..no more programming history, i just wanna know a lot of programming languages :P
and my hobby is to find ebooks for free :roll:
eqinzm

Post by eqinzm »

Name eqinzm
Age 23
Location china
Languages c++(vc gcc bcb) delphi asm lua python php html and other :P