C++.NET UNMANAGED

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
Alberto

C++.NET UNMANAGED

Post by Alberto »

Hello

I want to get started with Irrlicht.
I Know that the engine does not yet provide all features for .NET users
I assume however that I can access the full version using C++.NET unmanaged
Am I right ?
Thanks in advance
Foole

Post by Foole »

Yes you can, but I can't think why you would want to.

The wrapper library is written in C++.NET.
mOOse-pl

Post by mOOse-pl »

> Yes you can, but I can't think why you would want to.

I found using native Irrlicht under Managed C++ (in fact it was C++/CLI from VS2005 beta2) much more usefull then using a wrapper.

I've created simple modular engine in C#. It declares interfaces for different modules, i.e. for rendering, so I could switch any single module I want to another (let's say I don't like ODE anymore and would like to use Novodex) and the engine would still work fine (as long as the module is written well).

At first I tried to write a rendering module and md2 files loading module with Irrlicht.NET wrapper but I found it to be better solution for me to write that module in C++/CLI using native Irrlicht because:
1) I had all the power of Irrlicht and wasn't limited to what wrapper currently implemented
2) with use of wrapper my representation of positon, rotation etc. would have to be converted to a wrapper format, and then wrapper would convert it to native Irrlicht; using nattive Irrlicht directly I ommited a redundant conversion
3) it's just cool to see how all this interop works ;)

The rest of engine is written in C# (well.. almost, I also wrote physics module in C++/CLI using ODE).

Now I can create an application using my engine (and therefore Irrlicht) in C# or VB. So I think that using Irrlicht with Managed C++ might not be such a bad idea at all.
hgc

Post by hgc »

Do you know how to put Irrlicht embbebded into a C++/CLI Windows Form? Could you show an example, please. I don't know how to do it...