pure .NET version of engine for download

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
austcro

Post by austcro »

Bob

No apologies necessary, I was just messing with you :wink:

I'm pretty new to irrlicht as well, hell, I'm not even in game development. But this library fit my needs the best for the scientific visualisations that I had in mind for my projects. I mucked around with Axiom ages ago, but it's almost impossible to customise.

Once irrsharp is finished, I'll let you know. Thanks for volunteering.

Steve
the_bob

Post by the_bob »

I kinda figured that, but ya just never know these days :roll: . I actually started getting involved in making my own small games because of a project at work.

I was doing a lot of mathmatical manipulations of some large objects in 3D space, and realized that must be just like what is done for games. Once I got some spare time, I started trying my hand at the usual suspects: tetris clones, etc.

Lately, I've been using straight-up DX9, but finding it a bit too particular about hardware. That's why I started looking around and stumbled onto Irrlicht.

I also started looking at Axiom, but it just never seemed to be quite as complete as I would have liked to see. I am looking at SDL.net right now too, but that seems to only support OpenGL. From what I understand, once Vista comes out, that could be an issue.

Anyway, HURRY UP! :lol: Seriously, though, I hope to hear from you soon about how you're doing with the port. This is some really neat stuff!
3D in .NET - Who would've guessed!
Valnarus

Post by Valnarus »

Not sure if I can be of help but I know both C++ and C# with some level of competence. I've been toying with Irrlicht in C# a bit so I figured maybe I could help with the "irrsharp" porting :) Let me know what I can do for you and I'll put some time in.
austcro

Post by austcro »

Valnarus,

How well do you know c++? Take a look at the software driver and let me know whether you can make heads or tails out of it. If you can, then great. I've been steering clear of the software drivers and concentrating on opengl and directx. I'm not even sure whether people will find it useful to have those drivers but I still want to include them in some way.

Steve
Valnarus

Post by Valnarus »

I started learning C++ 6 or 7 years ago, I've got the language down pretty well and I've worked with the Windows API as well as OpenGL and a little DirectX. I'm a little newer to C# and .NET but I'm doin pretty good with it so far(the background in C/C++ has really helped). I'll take a look at the software drivers and see what I can hammer out.
Valnarus

Post by Valnarus »

I started learning C++ 6 or 7 years ago, I've got the language down pretty well and I've worked with the Windows API as well as OpenGL and a little DirectX. I'm a little newer to C# and .NET but I'm doin pretty good with it so far(the background in C/C++ has really helped). I'll take a look at the software drivers and see what I can hammer out.
austcro

Post by austcro »

:D Great. You're a legend. I was going to do the whole lot myself, but work snowballed me, and going for my MCSD didn't help things.

Thanks and good luck
Valnarus

Post by Valnarus »

Okay well, I seem to have hit a slight roadblock. I'm using Dev-Cpp for my C++ compiler and it doesn't appear to be .NET compatible. Any suggestions? Or am I wrong about not being able to create .NET apps in Dev-Cpp?
the_bob

Post by the_bob »

Valnarus, you can get the Visual Studio 2005 express editions for free. As long as you download before November 7th or something, they will not be charging anything.

Also, you may want to look at the free / open source SharpDevelop IDE. Version 1.1 of Sharpdevelop supports the .net framework v1.1, and handles c++.net. SharpDevelop 2.0 covers the framework v1.1 & 2.0, but the latest version I had didn't include the c++.net stuff yet.
3D in .NET - Who would've guessed!
Valnarus

Post by Valnarus »

<--- duh. I forgot about #develop 1.1 :) Thanks
I guess I'll download Visual Studio while I'm at it just so I have it available.
Valnarus

Post by Valnarus »

Hey austcro, am I supposed to be able to compile this source that comes with the Irrlicht download or is there another place I can download the most recent stuff? Or is it not capable of compiling yet in the first place?

Also, which IDE are you using to write your code?
buhatkj

irrlicht source download is incomplete

Post by buhatkj »

yeh I found out that the project files for Irrlicht .NET are missing from the download. If you check out the CVS version, they are included in that. Best of luck guys!! I would love to get involved in this, but I've not got the time sadly :-(
One small request though, if you can figure out a way to make it so that we can make custom scenenodes in .NET that would rock! :-)
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
Valnarus

Post by Valnarus »

Thanks buhatkj.

One more thing stopping me from compiling this...

[PARAMFLAG::Out]

The compiler error says "'Out' : attribute not found"

Either this is a predefined attribute or one that is supposed to be defined somewhere in this project but either way I can't find it anywhere either and I'm too tired to think of what it could be. Any help would be appreciated.
Braneloc

Post by Braneloc »

I really like easy to fix stuff :)

Change [PARAMFLAG::Out] to [Out]

Good luck getting it working, don't forget to generate/post the XML docs
Valnarus

Post by Valnarus »

Haha glad I could present you with an easy one Braneloc. I suppose I coulda just tried that myself but I was tired.

Now I get to deal with linker erros... yippee. Wonder what I failed to link to...