Half life 1 maps

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
kawash

Half life 1 maps

Post by kawash »

Hi,

I want to know if its posible to load a Hl1 map in IRRLICHT ?

Thanks
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

anything is possible...might require a custom loader though.

what type of file is a half life map?
area51

Post by area51 »

Half-Life 1 maps are .bsp, and was based on the Quake engine, although can't be loaded into Irrlicht without modification to the file loader.

I recon they should be very close though, and won't take too much work.
________
Mercedes-Benz 240D History
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hansmbakker

Post by hansmbakker »

if you get it to work, maybe you can post it in the forum

Post by Guest »

ok thanks, if you have something new post it :wink:
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

Look at the loading a Quake map tutorial it is the same!
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>

Post by Guest »

ive already tried, but it doesnt work: Header of map Error :cry:
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

just convert the mesh...open in radient and remove all the foo foo then laod in Irrlicht like a normal bps...seems like it would work haven't tried it though.
ThommyE

Post by ThommyE »

it works.. at least with radiant 1.4 ... although
-you first have to decompile the orginal map the get a *.map file. then you can load it into radiant (if all the textures are wrong-scaled you most likly are working with paches by defauld. just change the setting in the project preferences.. .. or the other way around).
-next you have to do is fixing all the ugly bugs which appeard while decompiling.
-after that you have to fix the lights , notice all spawnpoints (or what you need, write down a xml is a fine way to load it later)
-then you most likely will have to fix the sun, you have to write a sun shader (not 4 irrlicht but 4 the q3map2 compiler... dont forget to set up a complete quake3 projekt.. folders etc. quite tricky)
if you finished all this you are ready to compile it as quake3 map again. load into irrlicht and have fun.
...dont mess around with ambient light too much. my de_dust once was covered in pink.

ps: i still have a few strange lightning errors.. some places are very dark,although the sun is shining directly on it.strange... but cant be helped
athlon2400xp+,geforce4200ti, 0.2Tb hd+64mb extern, 512mb ram, linux FC5 2.6.16-1.2096, 100%gates-free system

Post by Guest »

thanks à lot!!!

Post by Guest »

i have seen a free tool that splits up bsps into textured and lightmapped level. If ppl need it and cant find it post here, then i will dig it out. I dont remember the name at the mo.

Post by Guest »

oh, it will be in vrml format afterwards.