Irrlicht IXML and IrrXML - What's this about ?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
Lordhp

Irrlicht IXML and IrrXML - What's this about ?

Post by Lordhp »

Hello,
i am new to Irrlicht engine, and i have discovered that there is a XML support in Irrlicht engine. But what does it mean? I tried to using it, and apparently I have to derive the built-in XML class to my own so that I can use it.

I don;t want to do that, because my knowledge of Irrlicht engine is just-not-so-huge so that i can play with it this way... I have discovered that there is IrrXML, I even downlaoded it, but what's the difference?

In Irrlicht there is IXMLBase, in IrrXML there is IrrXML . However, IrrXML example (that one on first page) is not working for me - sigh

Whatthe.. Generally, what's the difference and what i should use?

Thanks for advice.
The most interesting thing on programming is discovery...

of hot chocolate!

Post by Guest »

Lordhp

Post by Lordhp »

Thank you,
I've seen this page before. As I wrote, I have tested IrrXML (which didn't work to me because of no reason from my point of view), I have read their website, but there is something what I don't understand...
IrrXML Website wrote:Just like the Irrlicht Engine for which it was originally created, it is extremely easy to use.
If it was originally created for Irrlicht Engine, is it included within it? If it does, as I understand now, I have even include the irrxml.h file because that one is not included with irrlicht.h file.

So main point of my questiong is, what is difference between integrated XML reader in Irrlicht engine (the IXMLBase class and derived] and between IrrXML Reader / Writer (the IrrXML class, which is just a definition of IXMLBase template) ? Is there even any?

I want to know this because I don't understand the Irrlicht engine so far that I can define this. And I need to define this difference so that I know how to parse XML files... I just don't want to use IrrXML if there is no difference between IrrXML and IXMLBase template (from which even I can write just a definition - #define MyXMLClass IXMLBase<char, not_so_sure_but_it_is_in_irrxml.h_file>

Thank you
The most interesting thing on programming is discovery...

of hot chocolate!

Post by Guest »

If it was originally created for Irrlicht Engine, is it included within it?
Yes. I'm currently using it in an Irrlicht-based sim project.

Is it different from the "standalone"? I doubt it as I believe they share the same code base. However, I don't use the standalone so I can't confirm this. The builtin parser works just fine for me and I've found no shortcomings thus far...

Hope that helps answer your question.