Holes In Heightmaps Possible?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Nodlain

Holes In Heightmaps Possible?

Post by Nodlain »

Is it possible to use image heightmaps to render terrain and turn around and map in some holes. Reason for doing this would be to make sewer systems, caves, and dungeons without a loadzone. I was trying earlier today with all different image formats to test this. GIF images for some reason won't load in irrlicht, and TGA would represent Transparencies as WHITE space. Is there a way to make Transparent spots in a heightmap to allow strategic hole placement in terrain. Or do I just have to model my entire terrain and load it as a .x, .obj, or .3ds model into the game?
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

The current terrain node can't at least not without doing some REALLY tricky things and slight mods to the engine code.
elander

Post by elander »

But it's possible to tile terrain objects right ? So if this is possible a hole is easy to do:

4-5
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Well yeah, there's a few ways to do it. The best would be a terrain algorithm which would support holes in terrain. Could make it so you could load an 8 bit "alpha map", and where the transparency is 0, you could make a hole or something. I've been thinking about things like that, but other things are taking precedence for me right now.