JohnnyAppleseed: Irrlicht Terrain Editor

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
jerky

JohnnyAppleseed: Irrlicht Terrain Editor

Post by jerky »

I've been working on a terrain editor for Irrlicht for several months now. Please take a look at it. I hope it is a help. It was awfully fun to write.

JohnnyAppleseed offers dynamic alteration of scene nodes, textures, etc., point-and-click scene node addition, first-person shooter camera with optional collision response (so you can walk through your world), loading zip file archives, saving and loading of files, and more.

The best part of JohnnyAppleseed is that once you've saved a JohnnyAppleseed file, you can link it easily into your Irrlicht code using the JohnnyAppleseedReader. The code is simply:

Code: Select all

IrrlichtDevice* device = createDevice();

JohnnyAppleseedReader* r = new JohnnyAppleseedReader(device);
r->openFile(“world.japl”);

while (device->run()) {
// driver begins, ends scene; smgr draws all
}

device->closeDevice();
From there, JohnnyAppleseedReader will load all of your scene nodes and can return them to you for further editing.

The webpage is http://home.cwru.edu/~jcp16/johnnyappleseed/index.html

There are downloads and tutorials available.

Here's a screenshot:

Thanks,
Jake
bitmapbrother

Post by bitmapbrother »

First it wants irrlicht.dll - ok I copied it from irrlicht package and I got an exception "System.ExecutionEngineException". Maybe u should add right Irrlicht.dll to zip.

Post by Guest »

This looks awesome - I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight!

-evolutional
(Can't
area51

Post by area51 »

Screenshots look nice, although you will definatly need to include the irrlicht.dll. It won't work without it.
________
Homemade vaporizer
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bitmapbrother

Post by bitmapbrother »

Yep it looks nice and usable! Well done.
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

I tryed this with Irrlicht.dll from v.0.11.0
But Application crach with error message:

Setup Error - "Failed to load resources from resource file. Please check your setup."
ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com
kgb

Post by kgb »

How is it called the resource GUI that you use to the right in " Scene node properties "? Is it a tree control?
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

I'm in the same boat as etcaptor :(

looks damn good though! I look forward to trying it :)
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I used an older version of the .DLL and got it working it appears to have been done with windows mfc and looks quite nice however a bit diffcult to understand at first.

Can't wait for the source nice work!
jerky

Post by jerky »

Sorry about all of the confusion...

JohnnyAppleseed was written with Irrlicht v0.10, so running it with v0.11 will cause this "Failed to load resources from resource file. Please check your setup" error.

I have included Irrlicht.dll v0.10 with the download! Any will upgrade to Irrlicht v0.11 as soon as I can!

If you find it difficult to understand, there are tutorials available at http://home.case.edu/~jcp16/johnnyapple ... orial.html

In answer to your question, kgb, the resource GUI is called a "property grid".
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

also works with irrlicht 0.5 8)

Still a rather difficult application to use lots of manual work involved for example having to browse for EVERY individual texture.

I love editors the less work the better for me as you may already know I created Guice which is a Irrlicht GUI editor.

But I hate editors that produce a file that requires extra code to implement it seems rather redundent I mean thats what dark basic and game maker do.

I think it should at least have the option of outputting the resources directly or at the very least a simple way to add it to your project without requiring a "loader".
jerky

Post by jerky »

I hope that the application is not that difficult to use. You can, for instance, select a whole group of scene nodes, and if they all require the same texture, add it only once.

As for the extra file created, the reason I implemented this (and didn't add a directly compile option) was so that the programmer could edit the scene nodes after they were loaded. This way, you could set your scene nodes' properties, and then code in their interactions.

Also, the extra file can be linked directly into your executable. I've created a tool to do this, but it will not be available for several weeks.

If you have any specific suggestion, please let me know.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I need the damn source already lol

what I need is mfc control for the guice application.

is that what you used? or is this some kinda python crap or something?
kgb

Post by kgb »

How is it called the resource GUI that you use to the right in " Scene node properties "? Is it a tree control?
jerky

Post by jerky »

No, no mfc. It's written using Microsoft .NET and Windows Forms.

The resource GUI used for the scene node properties is called a "property grid". A nice tutorial is at http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/using ... tygrid.asp
check out JohnnyAppleseed: Irrlicht Terrain Editor at http://home.case.edu/~jcp16/johnnyappleseed