New logos?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Virion
Competition winner

New logos?

Post by Virion »

I think niko should change the logos (irrlicht, irrklang, irredit, etc.). It is because it gives an impression to people that irrlicht is an old style 3d engine. I'm not saying bad to irrlicht but this need to be done so that more people will use the engine and the community will turn larger. Thus, more people can contribute to the engine itself.

Here are some logos I made for Irrlicht, IrrKlang and IrrEdit. Please give comments on this. Thanks.

p/s. Niko if you like them I will help to change the size so that they fit with the websites/forums.

Under modification.

Last edited by Virion on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klikmaster

Post by klikmaster »

I like the logos for IrrEdit and IrrKlang, but I think the Irrlicht one could use some work.
It says LIGHTNING fast realtime 3d engine, yet you used a fire theme... :P A lightning theme might suit it better.
~IRRLICHT ROX MY SOX~
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Thanks for the feedback. I used fire as the theme because Irrlicht means fire spirit in German... So i thought fire may be suitable. But it's ok, i will try to add some lightning on it. 8)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

No, Irrlicht does not mean fire. I't a small light which flies around in the swamps, but is just a fairy tale character. There's a small explanation in the Irrlicht FAQ.
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

Some people seeing those images may get the wrong impression that you created the 3D Engine, the Sound Engine and the 3D World Editor. :wink:

If I were to use them I would want to crop off the "BY..." bit.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

hybrid wrote:No, Irrlicht does not mean fire. I't a small light which flies around in the swamps, but is just a fairy tale character. There's a small explanation in the Irrlicht FAQ.
Oh I see... thanks for correcting me. >_<"
sio2 wrote:Some people seeing those images may get the wrong impression that you created the 3D Engine, the Sound Engine and the 3D World Editor. :wink:

If I were to use them I would want to crop off the "BY..." bit.
Nono, i just put the words there for temperorily... until niko decided to use it. :lol:
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Since IrrKlang and IrrEdit have no problem, so I resized them (into 300x150) so that it fix with the website/forum.

I also updated the first post.

I will modify the Irrlicht logo until reached satisfactory.
Thanks for the comments, feedbacks and corrections! :D
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

how about...
this one?
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

I like the original logo myself.

The ones you made are very random, and not exactly something that "I" would consider logo material. Logos should be simple, little or no gradients or textures and use web friendly colors. Just my $0.02.

The only other irrlicht logo that I saw that I liked was one by rogorborg on one of his screenshots. Can't find it now to save myself, but I kinda remember saying "Oh, nice logo." I remember it was just simple text, block colors, with a black stroke, but it worked.
Anteater

Post by Anteater »

Those logos look good, but they look too... "wild". I think a different font, such as bank gothic italic, would look better. And a smooth red/black gredient without the black lines would look better. ATM they remind me of OGRE3D's logo for some reason. Also, the lightning could be less cartoonish.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

zeno60 wrote: The only other irrlicht logo that I saw that I liked was one by rogorborg on one of his screenshots. Can't find it now to save myself, but I kinda remember saying "Oh, nice logo." I remember it was just simple text, block colors, with a black stroke, but it worked.
Do you mean this one here?:

I like it too.
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

The current Irrlicht logo is good. These are too OTT, :shock:
maybe something more subtle, like the current logo with a slight lightning effect, but throwing special FX for the point of it isn't always a good idea.

(tip: use difference clouds on the logo and alter the levels for a lightning effect that follows the letters)
pushpork
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

but throwing special FX for the point of it isn't always a good idea.
Why?
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Because most people want the logo to be portable and generic-looking. So that it will look the same in different resolutions, colour depths, (Maybe even black/white!)

This helps keep it professional and epitomizes Irrlicht's cross-platform endeavour. (hehe i threw in some big words :P )
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

BlindSide wrote:Because most people want the logo to be portable and generic-looking. So that it will look the same in different resolutions, colour depths, (Maybe even black/white!)

This helps keep it professional and epitomizes Irrlicht's cross-platform endeavour. (hehe i threw in some big words :P )
I think that's the reason why Irrlicht logo is square in sized and has no transparancy. :)