IrrlichtFPS

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
guest54

Post by guest54 »

You don''t actually discouraged me... ;) Is mainly lack of time, and also in a point where I can't see how to weld an already made md3.

Even gmax 1.2(used chris cokson importer script, and his exporter plugin (so not tempest, which would have more legal issues)) did not solve it...I welded it, but once exported, the chris exporter unwelded it again..maybe is based in 3ds frames too...

Anyway, though have not seen anything against in the eula, as was not reverse engineering nothing, it is known that is not a clear point on gmax allowed use...I suppose if the fps project of this thread is not comercial project, is more or less in the terms...

Ok, if you feel in the mood , grab the OBJ from the zip file in my site: the first download, at the top. It says it has the x file, but it also has the temp2.obj, which has no unwelding problem (the problem is generated when character fx exports ) , there's also , I think, 3 weapons in obj format.Only one is mapped, the one it carries in cfx animated file(not there)... The 3 weapons are done in an afterlunch,(with certain humoristic twist) some minutes each..are very basic and crappy, feel fre to make new ones, or use others u had.

Just...If we do so, I'd prefer in the fps project is not put that I animated the model, but only I modelled it. The texture it has is crappy and non ended, so any of u feel free to over paint. I just want to be credited only for the part I did, and stated which other/s made the animations. Is just as each has his/her style, and I prefer it so...

Still, I'll keep digging for an md3 fixing tool...I have all the polycount section ones, and they don't work for this. The problem is... if I fix it...There could be an aditional set of animations.. ;)

I don't have Max, nor the money for it. All these issues wouldn't exist...
I have handled Max in a job(actually a pair of jobs) as I said, and is powerful while very easy.

As a side note, you bet I'll keep in my mind to not mirror bones again if I ever make another animation in Character Fx...(heck, I'd have now perfect md2 files, exported from ultimate unwrap -once imported x file in Ultimate- ...plus a perfect, error free *.x file...My favourite by all means. )
Marquis

IrrlichtFPS

Post by Marquis »

The source code of IrrlichtFPS is released ?
I want to know how can we put a weapon on the front of the camera.

I work now on a RPG, with item, weapon and dialogue.
I have made a little level editor.
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

@Marquis --> check the tutorial section, i've posted a tutorial about that question :-)
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
Rat

Post by Rat »

Ok I have rigged it to my old md2 animations, and it was giving me a heck of a time as this guy is pretty beefy! I had to tweak several of the animations. When I did, some of the joints got a bit out of wack, but I think I may have them all smoothed so they look good when you run them through the set of animations. I kept having crashes for some reasons. I am not sure if its because I have recently upgraded my vid drivers. So what should have taken only an hour to get it rigged and tweaked took wayy to long. I am going to post the model here for a few days, then take it down.

btw, I had to do some minor editing of the mesh to make it look better with rigid deformation. I regrouped the shoulder pad on and added some triangles to make the shoulder look natural, instead of stretching the whole mess like md2 rigid deformation would have it.
Last edited by Rat on Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

first of all, thanks in name of anarkavre, as i suppose he will thank you for the big effort.

Btw, I had some mess in my mind... , md2 is not rigid vertex deformation, but smooth deformation. Also, md3 too... I have tested both in way many md2 and md3 viewers...
So you changed the mesh as to make it rigid... well, doesn't matter really.It will loose a bit in bendings...yep...checking now...
I dunno if those are all the anims u have..if so, if I fix mines...(the very mentioned unwelding) ...he will be able to add to those, Jump, jump in distance...

But you did a big job. I like the way he breathes :)

has some problems mostly in neck, and in some moments the back offers some problems with left shoulder.But what the heck, it works :)

Just to show you that in *.x format,(well, screens are of character Fx, as x export is what gets corrupted) with its full weights, it bends well... :
(also even in md2...what md2 does badly is the face, as the slight un-accurateness of md2 is more noticed in small places like human face)

http://picserver.org/view_image.php/P6V ... erver.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/879 ... erver.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/YFF ... erver.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/0X7 ... erver.jpeg

http://picserver.org/view_image.php/RR2 ... erver.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/122 ... erver.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/HM0 ... erver.jpeg

Once again, thank you. Still, I may solve the problem of md2 or md3 (sadly x export is impossible in this case) export, and give also my anims to him, so he can count with more. :)

To anarkravre, this export he is providing to you, is md2, has no unwelding problem , also. So you don't need to mess with md3 loading, though imho (specially if model is not segmented,(no tags) using interpolation and non-rigid binding) md3 is better, and the best and up-to-date is x, dx8 or better.

ps: smd format from halflife had rigid weights&bones...but actually, md2 and md3 from quakes, can be animated with weights, as what is exported is vertex morphing,(no bones, no weights, but yes the smooth bendings: visually it bends just as smooth :) ) actually, my main reason to prefer many times md2 and md3 to hl 1 model formats, by all means...

ps2: How I wish I had Max... :rolleyes: ...Anyway, [besides waiting to Blender to finally end its exporters of x,(specially) , md2 and md3] these days I may purchase a new cheap software with x export..I may make some...euh, tests, with x format. :)
Opposite to cfx, this software has joint pinning, so is more likely I may get back slightly to animation with it.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Rat

Post by Rat »

Well since there was no skeletal information in any of the formats he had on the site, I had to rerig the beastie. The compiler did the rigid deformations, sorry. I do not know of any that will put weights in a md2 model, unless your using a hybrid compiler that works like the version of q3 does. The animations I used is stock md2 animations, as there are only 198 keyframes to the original. I do have variants of the q3 animations, but as I mentioned my computer keeps crashing any program that use ogl at the moment which is all my graphic programs. It would seem that Bill Gates plan to rid the world of ogl is taking hold of the video card makers fast.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

euh...well.. indeed, there's not much point on talking about weights or rigid in md2...I gues the md2 compiler you use somehow uses internally bones with rigid vertex (Milkshape only support rigid vertices) bindings. But if you do your animation with weights, smooth bending, and use an exporter like qtip exporter, or some other like it... the export is actually a "dump" of those "moments" .That is, snapshots of the smooth bended joints, poses. Later on , the game engine just pick those meshes-keyframes, and do kind of interpolation bewteen them, by code. So the result is smooth. The more keyframes(actual meshes) you use, the more accurate to your original Max -or whatever- file... But also, the more memory space filled by the md2.
This is very similar to what Gamestudio vertex animated format does... Now GS supports bones, weights, and importing weighted x format..this is quite recent, as far as I know.

- Advantages of a vertex animated system : If you use md3 compiler, you can remove frames, or just replace those by other with morph targets in heads, so to add face expressions with way more accuracy and richness than the tiny bones I use to make face expressions. Yet so, with little bones, you can make all. Disadvanatages: many. Memory, gotta restrict in frame number (due to memory, performance..) , so loosing the other kind of smoothing (in timing) , as you don't have bones, the coder wont be able to do collision per bone (typical cilinder collision around leg bone) , I'm told is quicker than per polygon. As don't have bones, late ron ,in code can't access them, and mix bones animations, trigger a leg anim whenever you need...
usually, in case of md2, way limited. It's too old.vertex trembling (seen in your example, but less noticeable than other md2 I saw) , bad shading, etc..
Not to speak of many features available in x format and not in these formats.

But yes, in md2 you have not to worry about rigid or smooth vertices. It's all smooth, as far as what it makes is a "3d photograph" of each moment of the animation: As max smooth bends the shoulder, those smoothly bent vertices will be captured as they are. So, forcing the model to have rigid bending is only limiting yourself, when the output, md2, does not need rigid bending.

I must encourage you to (and not use milkshape for md2) check qtip plugin for max. Now is trial, but the features nagged are not the important ones.

http://www.geocities.com/darinp52/qtip/

Also, this guy

http://mojo.gmaxsupport.com/

has many maxscripts(form gmax also he has) and plugins, for free, related to md3 and md2. Specially good is his MAX md3 import plugin. You could import my md3 files with it, and export as md2 with the qtip plugin. I did while in a company and worked seamlessly. Of course, there's the loss in acuracy in md2 format, that often requires to rework the texture later on to fix the "new mesh" and fix the new texture seams... :/

Indeed, that md3 mamx import plugin, maybe the most seamless way to bring a character fx animation into max, when, like in this case, you can't just export x file, open the x in Ultimate Unwrap, save as u3d, import u3d into max, having perfectly all bones, weights an animation there.For a internally wrecked file like this, vertex animation is th eonly way, importing as md2 or md3. I'd go for md3 import at least, as if u import as md2, and later export as md2, you loose two times...

I don't know if I explained myself well...

to sum it up: the Max md3 import maxscript from the mojo site will import perfectly my md3 animations into max. Then it'd be welding the mesh in frame 0 (just like in Gmax, works the same, only Max has better performance) with edit mesh command "join with threshold" (set like 0.001) , maybe asigning and overall autosmooth value of 80º. (also in frame 0) and 75 for the weapon (well, those are my typical values) . Maybe rotate both objects (non in absolute) , weapon and guy, as I think the importer rotates the axes. And bang, export as md2 using qtip (is a modifier, no appear in export dialog. You gotta hit surely hit the well known "more" button.)

I know it works perfectly. Is just I don't have Max at home. I don't have Max, now.

If you're curious, you can grab an md3 from my site and try... oh,well, I am too freaky... ;)

ps: I have exported sveral md2 from character fx (and now that I notice, all them have some unweld edges, but for the very different problem on how I uvmapped it, as in that is also WAY limited the md2...) and they keep the smooth bending...not as weights of course, is just as I told you: a snapshot in vertices, of what once was a bone weighted animation.

Anyway, it doe snot matter. A. can work perfeclty with what we have provided, I hope :) Thanks again :)

Sorry , long paragraphs...
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

ogl crashes.... Update drivers?

You using XP?

ati or nvidia?
Rat

Post by Rat »

interesting about the md2 and md3, as I have stayed away from using both formats because I have been playing around with UT type of skeletatl animation for quite some time, and just recently started trying to work on my own to produce a demo with skeletal animation support.

I will have to check these out what you have mentioned for import/export.

No I am not using XP, I am still using Win2k with a g4 FX 5200 with the latest drivers from NVidia.

It has been hiccuping for a couple of weeks now. I suspect it is because of something I have added to my system in an effort to compile and run some ogl apps. I have also installed a few game demos lately, so probably one of these didnt ask permission to screw around with my system settings, and/or replace a dll with an older one.

Thanks again for the indepth information. :D
Rat

Post by Rat »

vermeer: I just put up the cfx version of your guy. I saved him as a ms3d txt file and downloaded the character fx trial as someone was asking if it supported weighted vertices and what formats does it export to. He came in fine, and I used the bind skeleton command on him, then reset the face and head for rigid. I started playing around with some of the odd assignments, and ran out of time and patience with character FX way of editing the vertices. I had it going pretty good then made an error on one and decided to undo it, then it seems that all my work was lost. So I started over again and saved as I went, and this is far as I got. He has part of his groin area for some reason being asigned to the Footsteps joint that came from MAX biped. Any way I figure you would want to have him back in a format that you can play around with on your computer so you can tweak him with a skeleton that isnt screwing around :D
http://www.drawcad.com/down/md2guy.zip
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

wow, what an effort...

Milkshape does not support weights...But that's unimportant, as you are talking about reassigning weights in cfx.Which indeed is valid way.

The fact is...the most painful thing in CFX is animating and assigning weights.
You already learnt that ;)

Weights cause no lasso selection, and the navigation is way more slow than Max5's, you can't just alt click to rotate, u need to click an icon to pan and rotate. There several glitches too...that all could be ok if weren't that there's no way to fix a joint in space. Sliding feet will allways occur...that's more important than it seems in animation. That and not having IK.

CFX has two sides : If you don't mind slinding happens, or sinking feet, etc, just animate rough quick with it, it'll have zillions of small errors, but even certain clients wont notice or care.

Seen many anims with it, and more or less it's ok. But I can't leave with those lack of accuracy anymore. Maybe I'm too geek.

That's why I even purchased Truespace4 the other day, for 79$...
I had learnt with demo how to use it finally with success (almost costed me as much work as to learn blender...)

But now I can pin a joint. In handling, is even harder than cfx (so go imagine) but at least, the features are there...
I don't know if I'll be any succesful, but maybe yes.
I was going to test with this same model, have another, but at least this is fully uvmapped and has a half done texture...My problem is serious lack of time.

Usually I do art for free (when I don't seel it) if in the way I am also learning... So it'd have no much sense redoing in cfx, having so little time and being broken in terms of money..

I thank you for the effort, and anyway, anyone can grab it and work it out with the 30 days evaluation version.

Anyway, it was pending the lacking md2 cfx exports. Same unwelding problems here. So that Anarkrave canuse them if wants to. With these, an almost full set is available. And if anyone finds the way to comand line weld them, better.

But no plans on redoing in cfx...

I'll put the link later on to download...

and anyway, will start to test the ts4 bones with this model.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

Posted the link with the file with the remaining anims: death animation (only one; it all is a VERY basic set of animations) and run-straffe animation. This last one, quite robotic as was the last and was tired of needing to readjust every time the feet as not having joint pinning feature. Quite bored of that...

scroll down in my page, last link which says:

" The remaining animations to be downloaded yet. "

This is mostly for anarkrave that was using the md2 version, even with the unwelded mesh (I think he puts ambient to maximun fo rthe surface so creases are not seen, but all shading is lost.)
void_main

Post by void_main »

Hello!

I'm not sure if anyone would remember, but I wrote a fully playable deathmatch in Irrlicht awhile back. Here are some screenshots:
http://www.geocities.com/xisalemix/blah.html

One of them was made Screenshot of the Week by niko. :)

I would be happy to help with IrrlichtFPS! Let me know if anyone is interested.
I was going to use "AccessViolation" as my nick, but I almost had a nervous breakdown just typing it.
Rat

Post by Rat »

Well I am sure interseted in any code snippets that may help with any type of player type code! :D
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Me too!

:-P

I'm in need of some message system code and some examples of weapon system implementation.

thanks if you could ;-)

email --> seckenrode AT thehill DOT org
aim --> sreComp9981
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force