IRRLicht's collision, stutter-slopes and other libraries...

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
LovehinaX

IRRLicht's collision, stutter-slopes and other libraries...

Post by LovehinaX »

Hello!

I’m making a simple platform game, so IRRLicht’s own built in collision detection works perfectly fine for me. It works perfectly in all but one aspect, and that is when the player tries to go down a slope. Now this could be a ramp, down a hill or any other kind of slope.
What happens then is that, instead of the player smoothly gliding downwards, he stutters downwards. It is almost as if the player is going down really tiny stairs. I’ve had this problem ever since I first started using collision. Now the thing is that this issue doesn’t occur when the player is going up a slope, only when he is going down.

Since IRRLicht’s own collision works fine for me, I would really like to find a solution to this issue. Or could this perhaps be a bug in the collision code...?
Otherwise, I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good and simple collision library that I could use with IRRLicht. Perhaps one that’s even faster than IRRLicht’s own?

PS: Since I’m making a simple platform game, I really don’t have any use for a physics library, since that could have an impact on the overall performance.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

4th parameter of createCollisionResponseAnimator() is for gravity. set it to vector3df(0.f,0.2f,0.f), then it would work fine. if you are falling still too fast try to use smaller value than 0.2f.