What should go in Irrlicht 2.0?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

I would give a vote for a up to date, binary, well documented, Objekt format.
Should have following features:
1: of course static poly objekts.
2: bone & pose animations (partitional pose animations to.. example: facemorphing)
3:Multi textures(at least 4 better 8 )
4:Multi UV(at least 2 better 4 or 8 )
5:smoothgroups
6: exporter for the 3 big modellers(Max,Maya,Blender)
7:a real great feature would be some kinde of collision boxes per bone, or keyframe animated, for hitzones.(not a must have..)
8:some realy well working bone & pose animations (THIS IS REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT)
9:Animations per name (example setAnim("stand",i) where i is the procent)
that means every animation has to be saved with a name...
10:A loader for irrlicht and a specilized IAnimatedMeshScenceNode class..
place for further ideas..

(i know.. just let me dream)
but i think, a good grafic file format is one truely important aspect of a good grafic engine. Noone will realy use a engine, that has so many problems getting an animated Mesh correctly imported(the only way I ever found was the X file, but it is some kind of unnice to struglle with the exporter, figthing with so many setings etc..)
so i think a great working Fileforamt would be a good argument to use Irrlicht..(maybe even just a good ogre .mesh loader wich gives us access to all functions of the ogre file...)
what do all you out there think about it??
TGM
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

TheGameMaker wrote:I would give a vote for a up to date, binary, well documented, Objekt format.
Should have following features:
1: of course static poly objekts.
2: bone & pose animations (partitional pose animations to.. example: facemorphing)
3:Multi textures(at least 4 better 8 )
4:Multi UV(at least 2 better 4 or 8 )
5:smoothgroups
6: exporter for the 3 big modellers(Max,Maya,Blender)
7:a real great feature would be some kinde of collision boxes per bone, or keyframe animated, for hitzones.(not a must have..)
8:some realy well working bone & pose animations (THIS IS REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT)
9:Animations per name (example setAnim("stand",i) where i is the procent)
that means every animation has to be saved with a name...
10:A loader for irrlicht and a specilized IAnimatedMeshScenceNode class..
place for further ideas..

(i know.. just let me dream)
but i think, a good grafic file format is one truely important aspect of a good grafic engine. Noone will realy use a engine, that has so many problems getting an animated Mesh correctly imported(the only way I ever found was the X file, but it is some kind of unnice to struglle with the exporter, figthing with so many setings etc..)
so i think a great working Fileforamt would be a good argument to use Irrlicht..(maybe even just a good ogre .mesh loader wich gives us access to all functions of the ogre file...)
what do all you out there think about it??
TGM
I think everybody wants this feature. Supposedly though, the b3d format has enough in it to use just fine and doesn't have the problems .x has. Plus, the new animation system should be coming soon.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

im irrNewbie so my vote goes to clear and complete documentation. it is everything needed for learning :)
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

roxaz wrote:im irrNewbie so my vote goes to clear and complete documentation. it is everything needed for learning :)
Yeah, I hope there is not only 1 tutorial for a specific topic. I only saw 1 tutorial for special effects, 1 tutorial for shaders, etc. I hope there are more tutorials coming soon. Thanks.
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

what the hell is b3d?? googeling found BlitzBASIC file.. is that correct??
if yes, i never hav seen a loader for this fileformat.. (maybe just ignored...)
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

what the hell is b3d?? googeling found BlitzBASIC file.. is that correct??
if yes, i never hav seen a loader for this fileformat.. (maybe just ignored...)
Yes, the b3d format with designed for blitz3d but is public domain. The loader has been in irrlicht from 1.1
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

hey, this format looks realy promising.. the b3d pipeline is realy great(but just for Max)
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

TheGameMaker wrote:hey, this format looks realy promising.. the b3d pipeline is realy great(but just for Max)
Max 8 and below.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

One more important feature - Optimization!
There are a lot of ways to optimize our game, such as removing polygons which are blocked by other objects in-front of it. I hope Irrlicht can add in this feature so that there are more memory space and more rendering features can be added into our games.

I hope you can get what I mean. >_<"
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

One more important feature - Optimization!
There are a lot of ways to optimize our game, such as removing polygons which are blocked by other objects in-front of it. I hope Irrlicht can add in this feature so that there are more memory space and more rendering features can be added into our games.
With graphics cards now days being so powerful, trying to remove hidden polygons from a mesh will probably just slow your game down.

a much more practical feature, is vertex buffers, this will free the graphics pipe line and the cpu, which seem to be irrlicht's biggest bottlenecks right now.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Luke wrote: With graphics cards now days being so powerful, trying to remove hidden polygons from a mesh will probably just slow your game down.
Hm, i've heard that before, but i'm still not sure. I guess it depends also somewhat on the scene layout. I suppose when the game is fillrate limited removing hidden polygons might still help.
Luke wrote: a much more practical feature, is vertex buffers, this will free the graphics pipe line and the cpu, which seem to be irrlicht's biggest bottlenecks right now.
Yeah, i hoped so in our game. We even had a lot of static geometry so i hoped it would boost the FPS. I guess in many games this will be the case, but for us it didn't seem to make any difference on most cards when we added vertex buffers. Still i agree that this is currently one of the most missed features in irrlicht.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Last edited by Spintz on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

well, i don´t like the partikle system... some more controll would be grate..
you know some kind of callback for each partikle per frame...(don´t like afectors)
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Strange that you don't like affectors, when really, they ARE "some kind of callback for each partikle per frame".. :lol:
belfegor

Post by belfegor »

Well, this will sure get ignored but i will say anyway.
I hope to see someone that will fix shadow volume bugs (maybie before 2.0).
It must be realy hard when nobody hasn't solve it yet.

If someone doubts that it have not bugs i could provide
very bizzare screenshots.
Small FPS demo made using Irrlicht&NewtonDEMO
InfoHERE
Its at very early stage but i think im crazy enough to finish it all alone.