Wishes for the next version (or the other after that)

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
christianclavet

Wishes for the next version (or the other after that)

Post by christianclavet »

Hi, Those are only wishes that I would like implemented in a next version of IRRLICHT, these are not requests.

I already know that we could do mostly what I talking about with lots of codes or external libraries.

but here what I would wish for the next version :D :

Addons to the FPSCamera class: (addCameraSceneNodeFPS)
Im happy that the 1.3 version support the "JUMP" feature, but I also would like thoses to be added in a future version of the engine:
- crouch (I was able to do it myself, but since I see the JUMP in there...)
- run (accelerate the moving of the camera when using a modifier key like "shift")
- Camera bank (left AND right), like we see on some FPS to look on corners (camera bank)

Theses could be implemented in the "addCameraSceneNodeFPS", with activation in the calling of the routine. So it would stay compatible with previous versions.

- Easy banking of the Camera once defined. This would be good for making the FPS player "die move". The camera would "drop" to the ground and we would see on the side. I was not able to do this directly, but Travis gave me a workaround.

- Changing axis of gravity. This could be neat to be able to change to gravity once it's defined. Like in the game "PREY". We could use a trigger that change the gravity AXIS (-Y to -X for example), and the camera would "drop" to the new "ground"

- Addons to the "createCollisionResponseAnimator" to support theses direcltly: (I know that could be done with a PHYSIC engine)
- Trigger on collision:
- Trigger when colliding. For example trigger a sound (impact).
- Trigger another animator (bounce) that could be associated with the Collision animator. For example, a box could be hit then bounce with a "value".
Frodenius

Post by Frodenius »

well afaik the collisionresponseanimator already has the feature to set the gravity as a vector, so you could easily do the axis flip..
worst programming style ever seen...
Anteater

Post by Anteater »

Yeah a better FPS cam would be nice. I'd like to see smooth acceleration/deceleration and maybe slight movement up and down while moving to better simulate walking. Quake and Sauerbraten both feature a camera like this.
Ico

Post by Ico »

Others want to use it for a space shooter and can't use a cam that's going up and down. ;)

If you want to offer different views you have to draw the player's character anyway. So I'd take a static cam and attach it to get the intended behavior again. In first person, use the camera and hide the body (or even show it - think Tribes 2 had that?). In third person, switch to another camera and show the character again.
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

I just wish addon for the currently developped FPSCamera.

The Camera already can move and jump. Having a crouch, run and bank added should be enough for "newbies" like me to start a level fast. Smoothing of the camera move would be cool also, but this could mean more changes. If it's implemented easily in the engine... Then I'd be even more happier.

The idea to use a static camera for more advanced stuff like simulating walk (up & down movement) could be great once you're getting more familliar with the engine. By the way if someone could write a commented demo using this would be great.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

i wish that irrlicht would load x files correctly. now i export it with blender and my scene has inverted normals, all scene is rotated by 90 degrees. Ant this is not blender or exporter bug. directx mesh viewer shows my mesh correctly. what can i say... i gues its a bug
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

a small thing that could be improved for the FPS jump is a 'pause time'. If you hold jump then the camera bounces up and down. I've noticed a lot of games allow a fraction of a second between landing and jumping again to allow for a more realistic effect. It wouldn't be hard (I think :? ) ... something like:

Code: Select all

// OnPreRender of wherever the FPS calcs go on...
if IsJumping and hasLanded then
    lastjump = now
    IsJumping = false

if JumpKeyPressed and not IsJumping and now - lastjump > LandingTime then
    JUMP!!!!
crouch can already be done easily just by resizing the CollisionResponceAnimator collision ellipsoid ( and moving the camera up if you're 'undoing' a crouch).

also, a 'kick' function would be useful that applies a 'force' in along a generic vector (i.e. wind columns to break you fall and jump pads)
pushpork
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

our wishes will make irrlicht complete game engine :lol:
Last edited by roxaz on Thu May 24, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ico

Post by Ico »

Jumping in mid air a realistic effect? Hm... can't get it to work do I need new shoes? :)
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

yup... their special shoes crafted by free running skater monks in Tibet :roll:
What I mean is that if you hold jump in a FPS it goes:
JUMP, LAND, WAIT, JUMP, LAND, WAIT, etc, etc
ATM it just goes up as soon as you land (more like a sine curve) :?
pushpork
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

I think it would be nice if the engine had a third person view built in. If that is already possible then could someone tell me the code or what sytnax you use.
Anteater

Post by Anteater »

A built-in video (avi, wmv, ogg, etc.) would be nice. I know there are several third-party ones, but a built-in one would be really nice.

Oh, and a third person view is very easily done already. Just create a node for the player-controlled character, and then make the camera a child node of it.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

Guys!!! Hello!!! This is not a game engine!!! Wake up Neo, welcome to the real world. Dont you understand that you have to code all this if you need? Irrlicht is for rendering :idea:
Delight

Post by Delight »

Couldn't say it better, Roxaz...

Some hint for your inverted normals problem: Just select all vertices in blender and flip the normals - should help for now
Dances

Post by Dances »

GameDude wrote:I think it would be nice if the engine had a third person view built in. If that is already possible then could someone tell me the code or what sytnax you use.
Create a camera (just a camera; not an fps cam) and make it a child of your character. Move it just behind your character. Bam; third person.