looking for a free program like milkshape 3D to use irrlicht

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
gdenans

looking for a free program like milkshape 3D to use irrlicht

Post by gdenans »

i'm looking for a free program like milkshape 3D to create and modify the 3D's models i get

i'm looking for a good site where i could find some 3D'models to use with irrlicht.

could someone help me ??

is blender good and compatible with irrlicht ??

thank you very much

gil
R00mpel

Post by R00mpel »

I'm not sure if Blender can be used (anyways, it's too complicated for me ;)), so i'd recommend Anim8or (www.anim8or.com).
Lots of free models you can find in the 3dcafe (www.3dcafe.com).
Hope that helps... :roll:
The only thing to fear is running out of beer!
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

I reccomend www.wings3d.com, purely because of the awesome interface that lets you model even complex things very easily - BUT ITS ALSO FREE and a work in progress.

But it does not texture or animate.
For those, I hear that LithUnwrap (free) and CharacterFX (cheap) are excellect suppliments. And that all those 3 things together, are better than MilkShape. Milkshape is a good all rounder, but wings is focused on modelling, lithunwrap is focused on texturing, and CharacterFX is focused on animating, so they are better in those areas than Milkshape alone.
R00mpel

Post by R00mpel »

BTW, are there any programs (besides Milkshape) that allow exporting to .md2 files?
The only thing to fear is running out of beer!
Electron

Post by Electron »

http://emartin.20m.com/phillip/Aztec/download.htm
very poor modeller in my opinion but you can import .3ds append frames and export to .md2. Imports a number of other formats too, I forget what all. Not an ideal solution, but works.