Make people aware!

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
catron

Post by catron »

how do monkeys help pidgins fly? the world may never know... I mean really, i cant take you seriously on this topic. I think this thread was made by some spammer with no life just to piss us off. turns out the jokes on him. It might be one of us that just made a new account to pull off this heist... Thats why... I am stating a .... PETITION!!!!

ps. jking on the petition
Anacondaleeza

Post by Anacondaleeza »

rooly wrote:i've got an answer: by programming a relief-o-meter and connecting it to the account balances of significant aid orginizations.
then they could program a paypal donation button of some sort.

see?? its all so easy!

thank you rooly and all members who gives reasnable solutions.

for others, I can not understand your position, I am not making money/power/(*) with this post. I just want "MAKE PEOPLE AWARE" about "OTHER PEOPLES". And how a programmer (espacially "for this forum") can do this task.

Programmers can do many things because there productions can be seen allover the world.

Just....
Cardinal4

Post by Cardinal4 »

Programmers helping the world? A whole argument can be written up discussing the absurdity of the question, and not even dealing with answering with the question itself.

Since programmers don't help anyone directly 'cause their expertise lies in machines not humans, the way I see it, the only way is to become a billionaire programmer and set up your own humanitarian foundation. :wink:

Or program some really cool code into a synthetic limb for natural walking poses for war amputees.

Or hack into major fastfood restaurants and order deliveries of Big Macs to impoverished countries. :D
Sketches of a rambling mind
Still a long way on learning Irrlicht...
Anacondaleeza

Post by Anacondaleeza »

Cardinal4;

In your opinion:

Code: Select all

#define BILL_GATES 0

if(programmer.value == BILL_GATES)
famineANDwar = 1;
else
famineANDwar = 0;

In my opinion:

Code: Select all

#define LINUS 1

if(programmer.value == LINUS)
famineANDwar = 0;
else
famineANDwar = 1
My code compile with no errors with gcc, yours may compile with MSVC.

:wink:
rooly

Post by rooly »

no, really, i wasn't being serious. a person's profession does not restrict the humanitarian actions they can partake in. any person who believes they cannot help because their occupation prevents it is simply lying.

the simple answer, anacondaleeza, is "To be humane to fellow humans."

this question of yours in all honesty is bogus. A specifically defined type "programmer" cannot directly help his fellow human beings, because as stated, his prowess lies in commanding computers.

i'll say it again, and maybe it'll sink in the 3rd time: YOU CAN'T DEFINE HELPING PEOPLE BY OCCUPATION. A firefighter might risk their lives saving people. But his job is explicitly to put out fires. If he happens to save someone in the process, he's a hero now because he went above and beyond that call. The same goes for a police officer, a nun, or your average Joe Nobody.
When banks compete, you win.
When ISPs compete, you win.
When electronics retailers compete, you win.
When governments compete...you get drafted.
Anacondaleeza

Post by Anacondaleeza »

Hi all;

Let say that my question is : "How people can help people"?

Really there is an infinity of solutions, and we can not discuss such a question because the answer in always known.

My question is; "How a programmer can help people"?

The programmer is humain (sure!), and he make programs (sure too!).
I understand the question : "how a programmer can help people with programs?"

It is the same question but with //comments.

:D
Anacondaleeza

Post by Anacondaleeza »

Hi all;

Let say that my question is : "How people can help people"?

Really there is an infinity of solutions, and we can not discuss such a question because the answer in always known.

My question is; "How a programmer can help people"?

The programmer is humain (sure!), and he make programs (sure too!).
I understand the question : "how a programmer can help people with programs?"

It is the same question but with //comments.

:D
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

We don't directly help.
Happy now?
-.-
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I do get money for programming things. This helps me and my family 8) Probably some others, too. And of course the customers, as they want these programs for something. Sometimes they sell them, so they also get money and live from it. We're all quite happy about this :D
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

hybrid wrote:I do get money for programming things. This helps me and my family 8) Probably some others, too. And of course the customers, as they want these programs for something. Sometimes they sell them, so they also get money and live from it. We're all quite happy about this :D
Where can I get some money for programming? :twisted:
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Uhm, software development companies. I'm employed at a research institute, so it's also sometimes research, but most of the time it's programming (say software development in general).
Anacondaleeza

Post by Anacondaleeza »

monkeycracks wrote:We don't directly help.
Happy now?
-.-
All people can help indirectly but a little help.

You can directly help!

See this nice exemple:
http://fireftp.mozdev.org/donate.html
:roll:
Nodtveidt

Post by Nodtveidt »

I help war and famine by making video games.

My video games are violent, which calms the need to commit aggressive acts...war is reduced.

My video games are inexpensive, which means people can buy them and still have money for food...famine is reduced.
We all live in a yellow subroutine.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Copy bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination.
uninvolved

Post by uninvolved »

Medical Technology has advanced to robotics. Robots need programmers. Programmers program Mars Rover robots.

There are many possibilities to change the world.
waldo

Post by waldo »

I think we can all help. For example, by keeping everything open source you might not earn much, but those big companies like EA or Micro$oft wont either. For me, I'm currently looking for a way to make me useful in a more traditional way, building a school in Africa and such. Only thing is, most of the organizations doing humanitarian stuff only take people with diploma's. Typical isn't it?!
In the meantime I'm just going to create the best game in the world for free, as a present to the people and to suck all big company's customer databases empty.

* By the way, I don't think this thread is spam. What spammer would open a tread about a subject like this?!

** To all who are joking about this thread: Who spams who? Don't post in the threads you're not interested in.
If I stop living, does the world stop turning? Everyone will know, except me...

I love signatures, it's like space reserved for bullshi :)