irrCommunity

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki

Will you?

Yes!
58%
No.
42%

Total votes: 31

linkoraclehero

irrCommunity

Post by linkoraclehero »

A more organized place to host projects and their files. Who'd use/support it?
fmx

Post by fmx »

this is a strange question.
for one thing, I think it belongs in the Discussion thread, not here.

but yeah, I'd probably be interested.
yet I haven't voted, because I'm not sure I would "use/support" it.

yes, it would help in keeping these forums a less cluttered place,
but at what cost to those those who would have to create and maintain such a irrcomunity file/project hosting service?

would you be willing to do it linkoraclehero?

I just don't have the free time, nor the motivation.
and I can't speak for others.

:wink:
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I don't believe this is needed. For open source projects we already have many providers (Sourceforge, google, BerliOS, etc.) I don't see a tangible advantage for an irrlicht-only service. Those providers listed above provide a better service than anyone here can give in terms of availability and security. Simply because they have a full-time staff doing the work.

For closed source software (and open source too of course) there is the new ETH Zürich project Origo, which looks very nice too.

The place where projects are hosted is not so important, as long as their is a common place projects are presented.

The project announcement forum here is quite a sad place. Lots of announcements and only a few actual projects.
This other engine has a Showcase forum, were you can present your work, if you have something to show already, and this requirement is enforced. In my opinion a far better way to handle this especially for the projects that actually have something to show and are now shrouded in a pile of junk.

Also worth discussing is a bigger project section in the wiki. So far projects using Irrlicht are only listed. When someone provides a site template for structured presentation of a project with description, screenshots, link to forum discussion, project homepage, etc, it will probably be used. And if people start using it, more will come and do it too.

These two things are easy to do and way more useful.
deesine

Post by deesine »

Unless a major irrlicht community profile takes this under his/her wings I don't see how a project like this would take off, or last very long.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

I think it's ok to just make a "showcase" forum here and display a list of screenshots of the projects on the main site (but has to be frequently updated).
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Yeah a "screenshot" forum would be awesome.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
paooolino

Post by paooolino »

maybe using http://www.phpizabi.net/ or similar it would be nice - I'd subscribe and post my profile and screenshot of my works
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

paooolino wrote:maybe using http://www.phpizabi.net/ or similar it would be nice - I'd subscribe and post my profile and screenshot of my works
Looks nice... but is it suitable for Irrlicht?
varholl

Post by varholl »

Yeah it would be awesome... i would help for this.
A caos world where only the strongest lives, weak is not an option... you must fight.. Nokturna!!

http://nokturna.varholl.com.ar
paooolino

Post by paooolino »

Virion wrote:
paooolino wrote:maybe using http://www.phpizabi.net/ or similar it would be nice - I'd subscribe and post my profile and screenshot of my works
Looks nice... but is it suitable for Irrlicht?
it is suitable for all that you want. Those kind of social networks give you fetures like creating own profiles, messaging, creating photo gallery etc and are fully customizable, but this is the webmaster's duty :P
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Not a full community but it would be nice to have a file upload place... I get fed up with people using rapidshare and things like that. (and if you are on a large network the bandwidth limit is always used up on those services and you can never download stuff...) Or maybe such a thing already exists but people don't use it?
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

xDan wrote:Or maybe such a thing already exists but people don't use it?
Yes, like shown above: try Origo by ETH Zürich. The university as provider is as credible as it gets and they also host closed source software, so you don't need to publish source code. Definitly better than Rapidshare et al.
fmx

Post by fmx »

Origo seems to be pretty useful. Thanks for the link Saturn.

sorry for going off-topic a little now, but I was just thinking;
could it be possible to divide this "Project Annoucements" forum into sub-categories to maybe keep things more structured around here?

Something like "Complete Projects", "WIP Projects", "Inactive Projects"? (should be pretty self-explanatory)

would such a system be of much help?

there are a few real Irrrlicht gems here, and it seems a shame that they get buried under all the new 'announcements'
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

All the gems should pop up once in a while so it should be pretty self-stabilizing. Even good projects which are not active anymore will fade away slowly.
But a show-room with more screenshots and details would be nice. A forum without upload space is not suitable for such purposes, though. And often projects won't synchronize too many sites with updates, etc. So one has to be careful with this.
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

hmm id be more then willing to host projects only thing id have to worry about is going over my current space limit(250gb and my bandwith limit 2.5tb) id end up having to put ads just in case i go over *god i ahte ads* meh ill think about it... lol how does irrhost.com sound?