How long does it take Ageia to respond?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
Murdok

How long does it take Ageia to respond?

Post by Murdok »

I registered on their site to download the SDK almost a week ago, I have yet to hear back from them. How long did it take some other people here to hear back and be able to download the SDK/Engine
Also I am slightly confused, Ageia PhysX is a physics engine, correct? And Ageia also has an SDK for you to use to make that physics engine communicate with the Physics Card that they are producing?

I went to this page
http://www.ageia.com/developers/index.html
clicked right under the "Free For All SDK 2.7" the Register and Download button.
Took me to devsupport
I clicked sign in>register
And I registered received an email saying they will basically "get back to me later", and I have yet to hear back from them.

Basically... What the heck is going on?
JP

Post by JP »

No idea about how long it takes them to respond as i've not used the PC version. It is a physics engine, you're right. I don't know if you can communicate with the Physx card from the standard SDK or whether you need a special version or something, not used it so can't say! :lol:

Is there any way you can give them a poke to see why there's not been any response yet?
Image Image Image
Murdok

Post by Murdok »

On their site it says "Wait 1-3 days for a response". And I have tried emailing them again, oh well. I guess I could always just try and register again. :P
So this registration gives me access to the PhysX physics engine SDK? No source code or anything?

Geez; Was I wrong to think that when Ageia claims they are letting anyone download the engine for free as long as they keep a registered account updated, that they would actually follow through and let me download? I mean their devsupport email is supposed to be "Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 5 PM, Pacific Standard Time." Emailed them in the middle of the day on Thursday, PST and received no response... Gah!

Another question (since I don't like making too many posts/threads):
Should I just start developing with Bullet physics engine (I hear its recommended) and then when Ageia finally gets back to me, I could switch over to them?
Last edited by Murdok on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

"Wait 1-3 days for a response"... wait for 1-3 days more then. Your account will be approved by PhysX staffs, manually. Maybe they are busy doing their engine/hardware/whatever and didn't check the mail. :lol:
Murdok

Post by Murdok »

I made an edit on my post. Do you think that would be a good idea?
And yeah I figured they are approving in a manual process, I just think they denied me and didn't say anything. :lol:
JP

Post by JP »

Looking into a different physics engine may get you used to how a physics engine works and how you'd go about getting it to work with irrlicht so that could be a good idea. But also different physics engines can be rather different in the way they work i think so you could end up confusing yourself, but i reckon you'd be ok, would be good to learn how to integrate an engine with irrlicht. It would probably be best to not do the integration of bullet with your current irrlicht project but to make up a simpler project to do the integration with, maybe take something like the quake 3 map tutorial and get bullet to do the collision detection instead that way you won't do anything damaging to your project and make it tie in too closely to bullet which could make it hard to then integrate physx.
Image Image Image
Murdok

Post by Murdok »

Good idea. I should of done that, but I just received the email I've been waiting for from Ageia, woo! Time to integrate some PhysX into project. :D