Grey Screen/possible bug

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
k1ll3rdr4g0n

Grey Screen/possible bug

Post by k1ll3rdr4g0n »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zibI4BWjquY

In the video when I load up the level I am hitting the up key and the down key.

Is there a possible reason why the screen turns grey?
On a restart it works fine, but...I don't want to restart every time that happens.

Here is a better example of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJGb_IXtTNo

I also switched the Irrlicht dll to the one that comes with the SDK and the opengl driver does the same thing.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Print the camera location to the window caption and tell us if it says qnan or nan or something similar. That means there was a math error which caused a infinite camera position (div by for example).
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
k1ll3rdr4g0n

Post by k1ll3rdr4g0n »

I don't think that is a good sign :shock:
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

They don't look like X Y and Z values to me. The first image shows text that is never printed by "%f" even if the value is bad. In the second image there is no decimal place, exponent or sign. In both pics they're showing the same value. Doesn't make sense.

Are you running on a dual core 64-bit machine? There is a workaround in SVN for windows multi-processor machines-
changes.txt wrote: - Hires timers are disabled on windows systems with more than one CPU, due to bugs
in the BIOS of many multi-core motherboards. To enable hires timers in your project,
use SetProcessAffinityMask to set to use only one CPU before creating the device.
either use SVN, wait for Irrlicht 1.4, or change Timer::initTimer() in os.cpp to the following-

Code: Select all

void Timer::initTimer()
	{
		// disable hires timer on multiple core systems, bios bugs result in bad hires timers.
		SYSTEM_INFO sysinfo;
		DWORD affinity, sysaffinity;
		GetSystemInfo(&sysinfo);
		s32 affinityCount = 0;

// count the processors that can be used by this process
		if (GetProcessAffinityMask( GetCurrentProcess(), &affinity, &sysaffinity ))
		{
			for (u32 i=0; i<32; ++i)
			{
				if ((1<<i) & affinity)
					affinityCount++;
			}
		}

if (sysinfo.dwNumberOfProcessors == 1 || affinityCount == 1)
		{
			HighPerformanceTimerSupport = QueryPerformanceFrequency(&HighPerformanceFreq);
		}
		else
		{
			HighPerformanceTimerSupport = false;
		}
		initVirtualTimer();
	}
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
k1ll3rdr4g0n

Post by k1ll3rdr4g0n »

Yes I am running dual core 64 bit as a matter of fact, and to add insult to ingury, I am running windows 64 bit edition.
I thought about it, and was like "nah, that can't have anything to do with problem".

Does this problem affect linux systems also?
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

I don't think so, it looks like the Linux timer doesn't use a high resolution timer. It would be nice if you could test it though, since you have a system that is known to have this problem :)
k1ll3rdr4g0n

Post by k1ll3rdr4g0n »

After about an hour, I finally got an example compiled under linux (yay?). I tested with the 2 software renders and OpenGL, it seemed to be working fine.

I think it is just a bug with windows.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

fantastic, thank you :)