Upgrading forum to phpBB3?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Do you want an upgrade to phpBB3?

Yes
45%
No
19%
Don't care
35%

Total votes: 31

MasterGod

Upgrading forum to phpBB3?

Post by MasterGod »

How about Upgrading the forums?
Last edited by MasterGod on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
Morgawr

Re: Upgrading forum to phpBB3?

Post by Morgawr »

MasterGod wrote:How about Upgrading the forums?
ehm.. why? :oops:
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Check phpBB3's site for new features list..
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

yeah i want them upgraded too phpbb3 is so much better (imo)
edit:just look at this:http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/?si ... 3cf7ef26ca
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The only thing which would be nice is syntax highlighting. The other features are at most nice-to-have, but IMHO not really necessary.
greenya

Post by greenya »

i voted for "don't care".
anyway, forum admins know better what to do.

p.s.: use http://rafb.net/paste/ to show well highlighted code.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

phpbb3 has its share of pitfalls. JUst like this version...the pretty frills usually just cause headaches until at least 5 or so patches have been released. Above all else, i dont think the issues here in this forum are from the forum itself, its server and gateway issues...

The only note is the logging in scripts are either not set to store cookies or for some reason reset them way too often. logging in 30 times in one visit to the forums is the only frustration imo,

KISS, keep it simple. dont clutter the forums with useless functionality.Within limits, why not just add the modules for highlighting code into this version? its not rocket science :)
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

@FuzzYspo0N: Check this link, it might change your mind..
twilight17 wrote:yeah i want them upgraded too phpbb3 is so much better (imo)
edit:just look at this:http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/?si ... 3cf7ef26ca
Edit:
This forum is what, 2-3 years old. A new fresh version could be refreshing also..
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I'd like to hear saigumi - System and Forum Admin's opinion about it..
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

cool features that I think make it worth upgrading-
  • Search Engine spider Handling (better search rankings)
    Syntax Highlighting
    Built-in Captchas (ours is a patch)
    Merging Topics
    Auth Plug-ins (OpenID anyone?)
    Report Posts (spam)
cool features that would be nice:
  • Custom Profile Fields
    Subforums
FuzzYSpoON wrote:KISS, keep it simple. dont clutter the forums with useless functionality.Within limits, why not just add the modules for highlighting code into this version? its not rocket science :)
Because that wouldn't be keeping it simple now would it ;)
It's better to have a vanilla version that is easier to maintain than a version tied together by loads of patches, but like you said it's also better to wait until all the bugs are ironed out before upgrading.
MasterGod wrote:I'd like to hear saigumi - System and Forum Admin's opinion about it..
Saigumi hasn't been around in a couple of years, so Afecelis and I have been handling the unix admin side of things recently. If I find the time, I'll install a database backup and the current forum locally and attempt an upgrade. If it works without problems and everyone else wants it, then I may consider doing the upgrade. However, you guys will have to nag me lots because I am one of the ones who voted "I don't care" ;)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
sRc

Post by sRc »

bitplane wrote: It's better to have a vanilla version that is easier to maintain than a version tied together by loads of patches, but like you said it's also better to wait until all the bugs are ironed out before upgrading.
so far there hasn't been any updates to 3.0.0, it went through numerous betas and RCs for almost 2 years (I have been following it since the first open beta), almost 7000 closed bugs in the bug tracker from the opening of the beta to the gold release, and by now is rock solid in the first place. plus I havent had any spammers since I upgraded my forum :)
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

The Anaconda wrote:
bitplane wrote: It's better to have a vanilla version that is easier to maintain than a version tied together by loads of patches, but like you said it's also better to wait until all the bugs are ironed out before upgrading.
so far there hasn't been any updates to 3.0.0, it went through numerous betas and RCs for almost 2 years (I have been following it since the first open beta), almost 7000 closed bugs in the bug tracker from the opening of the beta to the gold release, and by now is rock solid in the first place. plus I havent had any spammers since I upgraded my forum :)
I hope then you voted Yes.
Second, if you say they said its a Gold release then it means it has no bugs, so why waiting :wink: , lets do the update, I mean, upGrade.
sRc

Post by sRc »

i actually hadnt voted yet, because i forgot to :lol: but yes, its at gold
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
Klasker

Post by Klasker »

I don't know how much space and traffic a sourceforge provides, but I think the possibility of attachments alone could be worth it. When it is so much easier to post a screenshot, more people will be inclined to do so, and it is much easier to help people.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Klasker wrote:I don't know how much space and traffic a sourceforge provides, but I think the possibility of attachments alone could be worth it. When it is so much easier to post a screenshot, more people will be inclined to do so, and it is much easier to help people.
If everything else is not enough that should do it, I mean such new feature could help A LOT!