Irrlicht 1.4 - VC9 (2008)'s Solutions/Project files:

Post those lines of code you feel like sharing or find what you require for your project here; or simply use them as tutorials.
MasterGod

Irrlicht 1.4 - VC9 (2008)'s Solutions/Project files:

Post by MasterGod »

Just extract it to the irrlicht-1.4 directory and it will fit nicely.
http://rapidshare.com/files/88375104/irr_vc9.zip

To the main developers of Irrlicht:
Can you add it to the official Irrlicht?

P.S
IDE Used: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Edition.

Edit:
My base files where revision 1224's.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

[pointless rhetorical rant]
How many versions of MS project files are we going to have to maintain because they insist on updating the file format every couple of years, and not allowing new versions of MSVC to open or save older versions silently?
[/pointless rhetorical rant]
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

will do.

thanks.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

rogerborg wrote:[pointless rhetorical rant]
How many versions of MS project files are we going to have to maintain because they insist on updating the file format every couple of years, and not allowing new versions of MSVC to open or save older versions silently?
[/pointless rhetorical rant]
I agree, it is pointless to ask whether to convert the project when all it says as a respone every time is "It was successfully converted, with warnings, would you like to view the log file."

It really is stupid, rogerborg. (I don't care if your post was rhetorical, I answered it anyways. :lol: )
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Well, the files I've uploaded are all working and have no problems..
Why then not adding them to the official irrlicht?
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

MasterGod wrote:Well, the files I've uploaded are all working and have no problems..
Why then not adding them to the official irrlicht?
The point is, like rogerborg said, unless someone feels like maintaining all this crap, then there is really no need for it. Let's be realistic, does MSVC 9 have any problems converting from the MSVC 8 project/solution file? If the answer is no, which it is, then I believe there is no reason for it.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

But then the same argument probably applies to VS7 (2003) files in VS8 (2005) and VS9 (2008) as well. Or for that matter to the VS6 .dsw/.dsp files. We've already got 3 versions of MS project files, when we could just maintain the VS6 ones and let users create whatever newer version(s) they require locally.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

rogerborg wrote:But then the same argument probably applies to VS7 (2003) files in VS8 (2005) and VS9 (2008) as well. Or for that matter to the VS6 .dsw/.dsp files. We've already got 3 versions of MS project files, when we could just maintain the VS6 ones and let users create whatever newer version(s) they require locally.
True, and I wouldn't necessarily mind that, so I see no reason why not to do that...but it isn't really going to happen is it?
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Since vc6 does not support solution files it's pretty nice to have them for compiling all examples and the engine at once etc. Moreover, the conversion from vc6 project files threw lots of errors the last time I tried (don't know into which version of VC200x). But yeah, adding new project files is really a pain for maintenance, because all new files have to be added manually: Error prone and boring.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Ugh.. tell me about it. I've been fighting with Visual Studio for the last few weeks because I have VC# 2005 Express installed and VC++ 2008 Express installed and when I load up my crusy old VC++ 2003 projects it really wanted to convert it to VC# 2005.

Anyone have problems loading a VS2005 Express solution in VS2005 Team Studio or vice versa?

Anyone have problems converting the demo project files?
Crud, how do I do this again?
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I don't have any problems converting from EE to TE (Team Edition), as you can see I also converted all the irrlicht projects.. (There are about 17 and none had any problem)
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Just to be clear, thanks for doing this, but the issue isn't so much adding them, it's maintaining them. I guess it'll have to be done, but I don't envy the devs' job having to ensure that every version is kept in sync.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

It would be my guess that niko will continue to build in the current format until either some become very outdated or the tools are no longer accessible.

which because it's forwards compatible means until niko deletes msvc 6 and 7 and moves from 8 to 9.

what bothers me even more is that it's msvc 200 ( 8 ) yet it's version 9... who the hell does this retarded poop except mircoshit?
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Midnight wrote:what bothers me even more is that it's msvc 200 ( 8 ) yet it's version 9... who the hell does this retarded poop except mircoshit?
Branding, the root of all evil.

Visual C++ 6 = 6
VC++ 2002 = 7
VC++ 2003 = 7.1 (!)
VC++ 2005 = 8
VC++ 2008 = 9

None of which match the MSC_VER, of course.
Jiang

Post by Jiang »

hybrid wrote:But yeah, adding new project files is really a pain for maintenance, because all new files have to be added manually: Error prone and boring.
Why don't use build tools? CMake, premake... just mention a few...

If the extra configuration files in every folder are not acceptable, at least you core developers can use them internally to generate the desired project files. Also please note tools like premake don't require configuration file for every folder, just build scripts needed..