How to setup a phpBB(3?) forum on SF.net?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
MasterGod

How to setup a phpBB(3?) forum on SF.net?

Post by MasterGod »

I've tried following the instructions in SF.Net but there was a point I needed to set some files to -rwx or something like that and I used WinSCP as my client to change it but when I entered Index.php (or was it .html?) it said it can't access 2 files and because of that I couldn't finish installing the forum.

These are the steps I'm able to make on my own:
1. Download phpBB3 ( :lol: )
2. Upload to the Right place.

I'm also need to know how to setup a DB on the servers.. Please I'm pretty much desperate as anything I'm trying to do doesn't work..

Thanks.

Edit:
If you have basic knowledge of using FTP and are sure your hosting service or server will run phpBB3 you can use these steps to quickly get started. For a more detailed explanation you should skip this and go to section 2 below.

1. Decompress the phpBB3 archive to a local directory on your system.
2. Upload all the files contained in this archive (retaining the directory structure) to a web accessible directory on your server or hosting account.
3. Change the permissions on config.php to be writable by all (666 or -rw-rw-rw- within your FTP Client)
4. Change the permissions on the following directories to be writable by all (777 or -rwxrwxrwx within your FTP Client):
store/, cache/, files/ and images/avatars/upload/.
5. Using your web browser visit the location you placed phpBB3 with the addition of install/index.php or pointing directly to install/, e.g. http://www.mydomain.com/phpBB3/install/, http://www.mydomain.com/forum/install/ etc.
6. Click the INSTALL tab, follow the steps and fill out all the requested information.
7. Change the permissions on config.php to be writable only by yourself (644 or -rw-r--r-- within your FTP Client)
8. phpBB3 should now be available, please MAKE SURE you read at least Section 6 below for important, security related post-installation instructions.

If you experienced problems or do not know how to proceed with any of the steps above please read the rest of this document.
I'm having troubles with, 1: The permission things. 2: Setting up a DB.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
dejai

Post by dejai »

I am not sure how much I can help you but with FTP, I would get File Zilla, it may make that tutorial a bit easier. FileZilla is a simple FTP client completely free and open source I believe. You simply type in your domain then your FTP user then your FTP pass and then the port which is 21 by default (21 is the FTP Port) you will then come to your root directory on the right and on your left will be your folders on your destop. Look for Public_HTML and Public_FTP you may be in this directory by default, but these are the only 2 sections the public can view without a user and password. Follow the instructions and simply drag the folder, image or zip from your desktop into the white space on the right hand side.. Its really simple to use. An example would be if I was in Public_html and I made a directory called download that would be found at the http location of nge.sourceforge.net/download and then all the files in that could be downloaded by nge.sourgeforge.net/download/text.zip or whatever.

Now if you want to make the forums placed at /forum you will want to set whatever it is to be the root of that section I believe.. Not quite sure.

Anyway I hope this offered some help so get FileZilla.
Programming Blog: http://www.uberwolf.com
dejai

Post by dejai »

Oh hold on I can understand this tutorial ok let me put it in plain and simple words for you :D

Firstly you need a FTP Client that connects to your server on in this cases sourceforge and allows you to upload files. I would recommend FileZilla which can be found at http://filezilla-project.org/ .

Now get the phpbb3 compressed file and extract it to your desktop or where ever you want in on your computer.

Install the File Zilla Client and then open it. At the top you should see a bar with Host, User Name, Password, Port and a Quick Connect Button.

Fill in these paramaters, the Host is simply your source forge web address e.g nge.sourceforge.net and the user and pass I am not completely sure, you may either have to make these within your sourceforge account or there will be a default admin one which will be your login user and password.

After you have filled in the Host User and Password set the Port to 21. And press Quick Connect. In the top white bar you should see some text wizzing past, this is you connecting. If you get an error look in this section to see what went wrong. If this does not work try doing the same thing but leaving the port empty. If it still does not work make sure you have an ftp account set up.

Now you are connected to your source forge account. on the left is your files in the top left box you can click directories and in the bottom left box you can see the files in that directory. This is the same for the right except the right side are the files and directories on the server.

goto public_html directory on the server. So click the folder called public_html in the bottom right box.

Make sure the phpbb3 folder is called phpbb3 as this will be the directory root of your forum so to log onto it people will go phpBB3 look at the irrlicht one for example..

Drag that entire folder into the public_html folder. The files will start to upload and the directory structure will upload and all the files. (if that does not work make a folder called phpbb3 and upload all the files within the same phpbb3 folder on your desktop to this folder and be careful to keepthe directory structure).

Now you have to change the permissions on the following files and folders so that other people can access the forums.

These files and directories are
config.php (666 or -rw-rw-rw- within your FTP Client)
(777 or -rwxrwxrwx within your FTP Client):
store/, cache/, files/ and images/avatars/upload/.

To do this simply right click on each file and or folder and select File attributes then modify accordingly. Changing the numbers and check the boxes that are appropriate...

The acronyms R stands for Read, W stands for Write and X stands for execute so when it says rw - rw- rwx for example it wants you to change the top and have the read and write boxes ticked, and it wants you to have the read and write boxes ticked on the seconded line and it wants you to have the read write and execute files ticked on the third row. Seems easy enough.

Don't forget to change the number as well. Infact I think the number changes all the permissions as some kind of universal code but still do both to be sure!

Now simply got http://NUSoftware.sourceforge.net/phpBB3/install and follow the instructions there.

7. Change the permissions on config.php to be writable only by yourself (644 or -rw-r--r-- within your FTP Client)

This means to go back to your ftp client FileZilla and goto public_html/phpBB3 and right click on config.php and change it to 644 and the top row to read write and the second row to read and the thrid row to read.

8. phpBB3 should now be available, please MAKE SURE you read at least Section 6 below for important, security related post-installation instructions.

You should probably read that :D

Ok and that should do it :D Can I be a forum admin :D Lol

Anyway I hope this helped
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I'm downloading FileZilla right now..
The next problem is with the DataBase.. how can I set this up?

Thanks.

Edit:
I can't connect with FileZilla but I Can with WinSCP. I uploaded it and when I press install it says:
Files and Directories

Required - In order to function correctly phpBB needs to be able to access or write to certain files or directories. If you see “Not Found” you need to create the relevant file or directory. If you see “Unwritable” you need to change the permissions on the file or directory to allow phpBB to write to it.

cache/:
Found, Unwritable

files/:
Found, Unwritable

store/:
Found, Unwritable

Optional files and directories

Optional - These files, directories or permission settings are not required. The installation system will attempt to use various techniques to create them if they do not exist or cannot be written to. However, the presence of these will speed installation.

config.php:
Found, Unwritable

images/avatars/upload/:
Found, Unwritable
white tiger

Post by white tiger »

filezilla won't never work for sf.net. filezilla use FTP protocol while sf.net use a different protocol (SFTP)

to change the permission on a file use the prompt feature of winscp with the chmod linux command
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

white tiger wrote:to change the permission on a file use the prompt feature of winscp with the chmod linux command
That's the thing, I did it and winSCP says its changed but the index.php file doesn't "agree".. - see my previous post.
dejai

Post by dejai »

Mastergod,
you simply have to change the permissions on the folders and files like I did :D
dejai

Post by dejai »

And in the command line of this machine type help.. then to get more information about each command type help command and then to get the manual pages on that command type man command. thats about all I can do to help you. Plus I didn't know it was a SFTP :D

EDIT:
And hold on buddy Quote from FileZillas Home Page
Open source graphical FTP/SFTP client.

:? Should be able to use it

EDIT:
Oh and master if you cannot get the forums up I can always just host, but thats a last resort :D
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

WinSCP says it changed the rwx thing but the forum doesn't understand..
How can I explain.. just go there and begin the installation:
http://nusoftware.sourceforge.net/phpBB ... /index.php
You'll see what I mean..
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

YAY!! I got it to work! Just setting up some configs and I guess tomorrow I'll add a link.
I fixed it by trying phpBB2 and not phpBB3, maybe in a update process it would work..
katoun

Post by katoun »

I had that problem too.
I was able to install finaly phpBB2 but not phpBB3.
It seems that ieve though winSCP talls you that the permisions were changed
the SF servers to not realy accept those changes as the phpBB3 install is not able to create a new file on your SF webspace(I have tyed to 'hack' phpBB3 by bypassing the writable check but it give error on creating a file).
So I am not sure how to REALY chage those permisions.

Regards.
Kat'Oun
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I've asked SF.Net and this is their response:
Comment By: Jeremy Fincher (fincher)
Date: 2008-02-08 10:25

user_id=1019020
Originator: NO

Greetings,

Our project web servers all mount the user home directories and the
project group directories read-only for security reasons. How to deal with
this is described in our documentation. For instance, the Project Web
Environment Details section:

https://sourceforge.net/docs/E07#environment

and File and Directory Permissions section:

https://sourceforge.net/docs/E07#permissions

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Thank you,

SourceForge.net Support
In simple words all I need to set up a phpBB3 forum on SF.Net is an already configured config.php file and modify it with my data (DB,Accounts, Passwords etc..)