NUSoftware Game Engine v0.1 Alpha. New Docs&Pics, Page 4

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
JP

Post by JP »

And to be fair it's going to be much more than a wrapper in the end i'm sure, i expect it will have extra game-related things that irrlicht doesn't provide for you, probably being a bit like irrWizard.

It's still early days and Mastergod seems to be doing a good job in his designing of the engine from what i can tell from his various posts around the forums.

It would be nice to see something of the engine that we can play around with, but maybe it's not ready for that yet, as it's a school project with a tight deadline it's more important to focus on getting it finished than getting an early demo out!
Image Image Image
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

JP wrote:And to be fair it's going to be much more than a wrapper in the end i'm sure, i expect it will have extra game-related things that irrlicht doesn't provide for you, probably being a bit like irrWizard.

It's still early days and Mastergod seems to be doing a good job in his designing of the engine from what i can tell from his various posts around the forums.

It would be nice to see something of the engine that we can play around with, but maybe it's not ready for that yet, as it's a school project with a tight deadline it's more important to focus on getting it finished than getting an early demo out!
Yes, JP is right. If you would take the time to review the SVN that MasterGod provided, then you would be able to see that he has provided some game related entites already. Believe me, he is working really hard on this, and has been working hard on the documentation.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Thanks JP and Halifax. You are both very right. I do hope those people who realize Irrlicht is not a game engine will use my project and I'll try making it easiest as I can for them, and Exactly JP, as this is my college project I have a LOT to do with a tight deadline and that's why I'm focusing in completing things then providing demos.

Thanks for being interested and ANY criticism or opinion is welcome, please do let me hear what you have to say.

P.S
I'm thinking of making every example a different kind of (mini) game (genre-wise) except few ones showing different features, what do you think?
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

MasterGod wrote:Thanks JP and Halifax. You are both very right. I do hope those people who realize Irrlicht is not a game engine will use my project and I'll try making it easiest as I can for them, and Exactly JP, as this is my college project I have a LOT to do with a tight deadline and that's why I'm focusing in completing things then providing demos.

Thanks for being interested and ANY criticism or opinion is welcome, please do let me hear what you have to say.

P.S
I'm thinking of making every example a different kind of (mini) game (genre-wise) except few ones showing different features, what do you think?
I think that's a good idea. To show what is possible in the FPS, RTS, and blah genre. What I would also recommend though is to get some good models done for the demos though just to make things look a little better.

And by the way, if you notify me of the time when you are going to make the demos, I could make some for you. Just message me on your forum, or this forum, or both. :D
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Thanks, I will do.
You know I'm actually in a "negotiation" with some friend of mine who's friend is an artist (with Maya). He said he might be willing to make a simple animated model for me for the right amount of money.. :twisted: But I'm talking with him over a month now and it doesn't seem to go anywhere so I don't have any hopes with him.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

MasterGod wrote:Thanks, I will do.
You know I'm actually in a "negotiation" with some friend of mine who's friend is an artist (with Maya). He said he might be willing to make a simple animated model for me for the right amount of money.. :twisted: But I'm talking with him over a month now and it doesn't seem to go anywhere so I don't have any hopes with him.
Well there is always turbosquid for the monetary impaired people. :lol: Seriously, they have some good models on there, and most of them open right out of the box, although some of them just simply weren't released right.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Yeah, if you've seen the Media folder of my SDK I've got quite few art-work from there, I just want something more custom-made..
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

:D :D :D
The engine now compiles and run on Linux since revision 138, thanks to randomMesh for begin my support guy in the last few days, also for writing the Makefiles for the engine and the example.

Here are two screenies from the Linux binary:

P.S
The first screen shot looks a bit broken, its ok it's just me.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I've made an alpha version of the first engine's example and I just want to show you what I've done so far.
Few notes:
1. The world ID on both 'levels' are the same but they are not the same objects/worlds!!
2. That's the important note, each level is a completely independent separate scene with only the textures and mesh cach shared. Each level takes care of cleaning itself and transition from one level to another clears the current level before changing.
3. I'm showing this example as a demonstration of the new (uncommitted to SVN yet, though) level graph management system which can handle a massive amount of data on a level and can easily handle a lot of levels in a game. - Theoretically that is what it's suppose to be capable of, I still have a lot of testing to do.

You can download the win-only binary file here.
And here are two screen shots from the demo example:

And another completely (except textures/mesh cach) separate level:

P.S
For the sake of the 4 days it took me to design it and the last, let me count..17 strait hours coding please tell me what you think about it :D
Oh and code explanation will come soon enough, can't say when but soon (I hope :P )

Notes to myself:
- Fill your caffeine bar.
- Eat something before you die.
- Take a damn shower, you've been sitting 17 hours in front of your computer!!
:lol:
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Finally you have a demo of this thing! (cos that's what counts, ya know :P)

But rapidshare is USELESS. And EVIL! Why do people use it? WHY!? It is impossible for me to download anything as I am behind a university web cache so the download limit is always used up.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I use rapidshare to earn points but here's a link from MediaFire.
http://www.mediafire.com/?m9gdemyn3ni
Just a reminder, to move the camera use the normal arrow keys.
ecsos

Post by ecsos »

it's pretty cool.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I've uploaded a wave file of me saying "NUSoftware Game Engine". You can download it here.
I hope now it would be clear how to pronounce the name "NUSoftware" right :wink: .

P.S
@ecsos: cool, thanks.
Last edited by MasterGod on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

SF.Net unix name change:
from nusoftware -> to nusoftwarege

This means that in the next 48 hours from now you may (probably not) encounter problems using the site/forum.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Ok, finally an announcement.
I'll release later on today/tomorrow morning the first alpha version of the engine.
This means that from this point forward I'll be fixing bugs and adding only the most needed features hence I can't call it beta (which is ONLY bug fixes).
I'll be working today on the examples and tuning some stuff so it would be ready for testing for you.
I still have to add a lot of doxy docs to the code and update the online/offline API constantly cause I'm a damn perfectionist who has to have it updated all the time :P

I'd recommend not to touch it until tomorrow but I still announce it today cause I have a free day tomorrow and I'll probably work till morning continuing preparing the engine for more testings.

For updates check the following links:
1. Site - Development section.
2. Forum - Well, it's the official forum where I would like you to post questions and report reports there instead of spamming this thread please.

Hopefully I'll get more constructive criticizes but every comment is welcomed.

In the following month I'll be making a very very comprehensive PDF/Some other format, document that should sum about every aspect of the engine (well, college demands it :) ) and I'm not sure yet but maybe a Presentation-file (using PowerPoint) that would explain the basic use of the engine - in short.
Those docs would take most of my time this month so probably suggestions like "can you add simple physics" would be responded by "Sorry, no time".

Now, I just want to remind you I started this engine to learn better C++, Game Programming, OOP, OO Design, Computer Graphics etc. (which I have certainly did - Yay! :P) So don't expect it to be something that good, at least not for now :wink:
It was originally meant to be used just by me but because of public interest I've tried to make it more usable to others.
Site wrote:This project is my college's final project and its purpose is earning experience with game programming and be as educational as it can be.
Many thanks would come don't worry but I owe a special one to rogerborg. He has written a very long guide which helped me a lot about how to handle a project in such scale which I've never done before.