Open Source

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
dejai

Open Source

Post by dejai »

What drives you to create open source software, do you support linux?

I support it so I don't have to be a pirate :D

E>G
http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf
Programming Blog: http://www.uberwolf.com
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Well I like to make things that I make open source because...

Crap.
Nevermind.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

My excuse is that everything I code is disgusting looking :(
dudMaN

Post by dudMaN »

Usually because everything i do sucks too much to be commercial :lol:

-DudMan
Complete Irrlicht Beginners Tutorial
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=24898
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

i got to a knowledge of programming by people sharing the knowledge they had . i got to learn music from people who shared the knowledge they have. if everyone learns from the past and from others but doesnt give back they are stupid (imo) and within reason of course. commercial software is awesome certain packages im more than happy to buy... but for the msot part i support and make everything open source because its for the benefit of others.

If im living for myself im wasting space...Rather live to better what you live for. The future is built on what we make of the present. if we are making a way for others to walk through the future can only be better then where we got to. its all, opinion based (as always) but my opinon is to make the best of what i have for the sake of others
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Cool speech FuzzYspo0N,

I like open source because it's fun sharing and if others wouldn't have shared their knowledge I couldn't have got to where I am.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

I like open source because I gives you a chance to learn from others. It also enables us to develop a lot faster that if development was restricted to only a few paid programmers (although the argument goes the other way, depending on how popular the software is).

Also cuz I'm cheap :D
pushpork
switch_case

Post by switch_case »

FuzzYspo0N wrote:i got to a knowledge of programming by people sharing the knowledge they had . i got to learn music from people who shared the knowledge they have.
i agree with that.
and because i like the fact, that if you make a project open source, others will bring 1. new ideas 2. suggestions for bugfixes wich you didn't see.
and because i like watching other peoples skills in programming (you learn a lot from that i think.) :)
if life could only be written in C++...
so much features, money++, remove_childs(), choose parents, life = new life, and no more <IDIOT> templates !
if you're looking for an nerdy coding language: http://lolcode.com/
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Yep. MPAA and IRAA can't do nuthin' 'bout my open-source habits... :D

FlyingIsFun1217
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

FlyingIsFun1217 wrote:Yep. MPAA and IRAA can't do nuthin' 'bout my open-source habits... :D

FlyingIsFun1217
Agreed. 8)
Neither can Micro$oft.

But seriously... who needs my programs anyway? Might as well give them away as bandwidth-wasters :D
I have recently discovered that both the Flu and my Algebra teacher have exact the same effect on my health: it quickly degrades.
switch_case

Post by switch_case »

yeah, so don't write too much white-spaces, my internetconnection is based on volume :D
if life could only be written in C++...
so much features, money++, remove_childs(), choose parents, life = new life, and no more <IDIOT> templates !
if you're looking for an nerdy coding language: http://lolcode.com/
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

do you support linux
no...
neither fight against it. Same with ms.

have some sympathy for open source, but not to an extreme...

I do love comercial software as well, butmainly for how polished it is in some cases; so, more accurate: certain comercial software. Same as I like Firefox better than IE, or Wings better than many comercial modelers. Quality reasons...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

Well, I do use Linux (I think its quite comfortatble to programm under Linux)
But I got a windows, too, that I boot from time to time...
I personaly like Opensource Software, cuz I'm able to change / or bugfix it myself. Example: A neat lib for rendering (not irrlicht, but SFML) well.. I needet to get the size of a string - character rendert on screen.. no problem with opensource.. took me somewhat like 20min. If SFML would have been Closed source - no chance.. Would have had to wait till one of the programmers did implement it themself..
why I publish my stuff opensource (for example the shaders) is quite simple. As I don't need to pay any bill, I have no intentions to earn money with my stuff. (Noone would pay anyway) so the best I can do ist helping someone else^^