Celestial Objects

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Blue Hampster

Celestial Objects

Post by Blue Hampster »

Heya y'all. How's everything hanging? Does anyone know where you can download any fairly decent planet objects and sun objects with fairly highres textures? I found some, but they were rubbish. Also, does anyone know how to make a half decent sun object (space style)
JP

Post by JP »

you could try on turbosquid and search for free models (max price 0), don't know if there'd be anything there...

obviously the model itself is very very simple, just a sphere so you can just use an irrlicht sphere scene node for that and then all you need to do is apply a nice high quality texture to it of the planet's surface.

now are you wanting to do planets in our solar system or generic planets for like a space game which could be set in any part of the universe? if it's the latter then you can just make up some planet surface textures yourself much easier than having to rely on high quality textures of earth's surface etc.
Image Image Image
Blue Hampster

Post by Blue Hampster »

Yeah, its the latter. And your right that its just a sphere, but im looking for some fairly high quality textures and bump maps. But im just wondering if anyone knows where I can get some decent ones for free.
JP

Post by JP »

well as i say you can just make up your own planet surfaces really... though maybe it depends at what sort of distance you're going to be from the planet surface i would imagine you're not going to be close so i would think that bump maps are pretty unecessary.

if you look at pictures of earth, or other planets, from space you don't see any detail that bump mapping would give you, they generally look nice and smooth all around.
Image Image Image
Blue Hampster

Post by Blue Hampster »

Hmm, well. Do you know where I can find or how to make something that would look very similar to this:

http://gallery.artofgregmartin.com/tuts ... lanet2.jpg