FreeWorld Loader

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

FreeWorld Loader

Post by Guest »

A new terrain editor has been released, as you can see here:

http://cs.selu.edu/~soconnell/freeworld3d/

What it does is exports a heightmap like so:

A ascii mesh file that contains the coordinates where the mesh's are:
http://www.flashstand.com/mesh_data.txt

A huge image of the texture layer

A HUGE (like 3 MB) text file of fog info, terrain info, lighting info, sky box info, etc. which can be seen here:
http://cs.selu.edu/~soconnell/freeworld ... _ascii.txt

Now, I would like to write something that loads the info exported from this amazing program, and puts it into Irrlicht.

The heightmap is pretty simple, and applying a texture is pretty easy I believe as well, but how can I load that sample_ascii file and have irrlicht parse it correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cmoibenlepro (not log in)

Post by cmoibenlepro (not log in) »

I think that Socone is writing curently a loader...
ask him on his forum... :wink:
soconne

Post by soconne »

'Soconne', there are 2 n's :-p

But yes, I am going to release code to load the entire level you create with FreeWorld3D into your own game or demo. Of course, it will be in C++ though.
StuCollier

Post by StuCollier »

Excellent news soconne ... keep us all informed of your progress :D
StuC
Freeware games
www.ovine.net
Jespar

Terrain editor

Post by Jespar »

When the editor + code will be available and works fast , i will buy the terrain editor ...

Regards,
Jespar

Post by Guest »

Do you mean the source code? That will never be available and the speed is dependent on your hardware.
bal

Post by bal »

Anonymous wrote:Do you mean the source code? That will never be available and the speed is dependent on your hardware.
I think he ment the source code of soconne's work :wink:
soconne

Post by soconne »

Currently I'm working hard to get the Entity system up and running. But as soon as that is done, i will work towards making some simple source files to be used to load the levels.

Although, if you guys want to simply load the heightmap and terrain texture, there are tutorials all over the net for that part. :-)

Post by Guest »

bal wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Do you mean the source code? That will never be available and the speed is dependent on your hardware.
I think he ment the source code of soconne's work :wink:
Indeed :wink:
Electron

Post by Electron »

This seems odd. Why's it called FreeWorld if it cost's money?
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars
soconne

Post by soconne »

Because every other name was taken :-p
I also meant for it to mean that the editor is very flexible and that it gives you the freedom to create whatever you want.

But a lot of people have asked that now, so perhaps I might think of another name as long as its not taken as well.

Post by Guest »

soconne wrote:Because every other name was taken :-p
I also meant for it to mean that the editor is very flexible and that it gives you the freedom to create whatever you want.

But a lot of people have asked that now, so perhaps I might think of another name as long as its not taken as well.

Why, its the freedom to edit in the world , so why should ya take another name. And 20 Dollars is'nt much is it ... The editor is not old, but has a lot of advantages allready...

Its your world, the FREE world ....

Keep that in mind, keep up the good work. Iam about to order.

Regards,
Jespar