Is IrrEdit good with Irrlicht ?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
dawasw

Is IrrEdit good with Irrlicht ?

Post by dawasw »

Welcome, I place this in this section, because its a simple question and I need an advice. Let's say I have made many models for my game, I mean - I have some game levels and some exterior areas - they could make some kind of seamless world.

My questions are:

Is IrrEdit having any major problems with 1.4.1 version of Irrlicht ?

It's a good positioning tool for world building or even something better than that ?

Shaders and other additional effects are supported ?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of .irr scene format ?

I will try it myself anyway, but if somebody answer the questions - it will be nice too. ;)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

irrEdit uses Irrlicht 1.4.1, so I doubt it will have any major problems... But there's an irrEdit forum which will definitely help you better than we can.
JP

Post by JP »

Yeah it's very useful for laying out your world, not sure how good it would be for seamless large worlds... maybe you'd need a few .irr scenes to seperate them out otherwise it all gets loaded at once... depends on how you're doing your seamless worlds.

The forum for IrrEdit is pretty good... Niko posts there to answer questions but sometimes he seems to ignore questions entirely... Definetly the best place to ask about its features though as he's the guy who knows best.

I don't know about its shader support but you could tag objects (by giving them a specific name like ShaderMat02) and then when they've been loaded into Irrlicht you could then go through the scene graph and based on those tags make changes to the objects or whatever.
Image Image Image
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

Thanks for answers, I've checked the tool with newest irrlicht version and it works very well - thanks again for help. I'll try IrrEdit forums too, for more information.
sudi

Post by sudi »

I actually dn't like irredit that much.
Its kinda hard to place objects and navigation isn't the best as well.
Might be a better idea to prog your own scenetool.

EDIT: but its perfect to prototype some stuff and using irredit as leveleditor
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.