Shards (Irrlicht on the iPhone) - with View Preview

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
grafikrobot

Shards (Irrlicht on the iPhone) - with View Preview

Post by grafikrobot »

For those who've been wondering where the iPhone Irrlicht development has gone. Here it is...

Shards

Where precision meets collision...

Shards is an addictive combination of familiar games you already love. First, tilt to move the 3D sphere around the board, avoiding the traps in the floor. Find the patterns in the floor, and inlay multi-colored tiles from the sphere to fill in the various shapes. Then, transform into a wrecking ball and smash those shapes into little shards before time runs out. Build and destroy big chains of single-colored tiles and rack up high scores. Find power-ups along the way, and use them strategically to skyrocket your score! Levels range from two minutes to 30 minutes, so there’s always a Shards level to fit your break time.

You can see more screen-shots in the Apple iTunes App Store and in the product page. There's a demo version in the way, it's still waiting in the Apple approval queue. But given previous experience it should be up in the next 2 days. We are also working on a video, but I can't say when that's going to happen. As with many things in tech-life hardware failures conspired to delay our artist to the point of conflicting with other projects.

And now that I have a stable Irrlicht iPhone port you can look forward to the port making it's way back into Irrlicht!

Update:

We just got a video preview up on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyfNoUnY5M

Another Update:

Apple finally approved the demo and it's now in the store. So if you want to see what Irrlicht looks like on the iPhone, without spending the money go get it. There's a 1.2.0 update on the pipeline also with some more fixes. But since we started on another game already the 1.2.0 will be it for a while.
Last edited by grafikrobot on Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Cool game, nice graphics with addictive casual gameplay. Exactly the games I really like to play. Now I got to buy an iPhone or iPod :?
I still didn't find time to create the ogl-es branch, but I'd really like to get thos changes back into core library :)
JP

Post by JP »

Congrats on getting the port working! And congrats on getting Apple to put your game up, is it free or do you have to pay for it?
Image Image Image
grafikrobot

Post by grafikrobot »

JP wrote:Congrats on getting the port working!
Thanks, but... Many thanks also go to hybrid for doing the OpenGLES grunt work in the first place! Without that work it would have taken me considerably longer to get things working. It literally saved me a few weeks.
JP wrote:And congrats on getting Apple to put your game up, is it free or do you have to pay for it?
Yes it costs money. After all we're trying to make a living ;-) But there's a free demo on the way any day now.
Sherry Haibara

Post by Sherry Haibara »

Great work, man! It seems a pretty good game! Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch to try, but I think I'm gonna buy one soon ;)

Congratulations to everybody has been working on this!

Sherry Haibara
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

i was wondering if you are going to release your iphone port? I am going to buy a iphone soon and would like to be able to put games on it.
http://wild.deathtouchstudios.com << My gamedev blog
<Programming is a way of life>
If at first you don't succeed press the delete key till you do :)
grafikrobot

Post by grafikrobot »

wildrj wrote:i was wondering if you are going to release your iphone port? I am going to buy a iphone soon and would like to be able to put games on it.
Yes we are. hybrid is just getting around to creating an irllicht branch for the changes. So I'll be submitting patches for him to incorporate.
wyrmmage

Post by wyrmmage »

Irrlicht for the iPhone would be amazing! ^_^
It's great that you're willing to submit your work back to the Irrlicht community :)
Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com
Ganadu'r, The Eternal Sage (Other Current Project) - http://rpg.naget.com
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

An irrPhone... i mean iPhone game? nice! :lol:
Sherry Haibara

Post by Sherry Haibara »

Tried the game, works perfectly on iPod Touch 2G with software 2.1.1, I can only say: great.

Sherry Haibara
kevinx

Post by kevinx »

I'm very interested in irrlicht on the iphone as well. This looks very promising.
SouthpawBob

iphone

Post by SouthpawBob »

I just downloaded the ogl-es branch and it looks like the patches haven't been submitted yet. Any idea when you might get a chance to upload them? If I could help in anyway, let me know. Great work guys!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah, unfortunately the real life was more demanding than expected, and we had to finish the 1.4.2 release. Maybe in the next weeks, before the 1.5 deadline is near...
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

Great news!

Just a quick question: will the GL ES branch be Irrlicht in all it's glory with a GL ES driver or will it be a stripped down version?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The branch is just meant as a development place for a new Irrlicht video driver, which will use ogl-es 1.x (and later also 2.x in yet another driver...). So it will be a full featured Irrlicht, and it will also be merged into Irrlicht core later on. Of course, not all features of Irrlicht will be available for the ogl-es drivers, just as you can also find it for other dirvers already. But we'll try to support as much as possible.