Attaching bones to meshes in game

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Daystar

Attaching bones to meshes in game

Post by Daystar »

I want to make a character customization system in one of my other projects, what I wanted to do is make it so that the player puts his or her character together from various modeled meshes then once done the bone would be added to the custom mesh in game. My question is is this possible and if so how would I go about doing it?
Last edited by Daystar on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DayStar
Lambda

Re: Attaching meshes to bones in game

Post by Lambda »

Daystar wrote:I want to make a character customization system in one of my other projects, what I wanted to do is make it so that the player puts his or her character together from various modeled meshes then once done the bone would be added to the custom mesh in game. My question is is this possible and if so how would I go about doing it?
Yes, you can call meshnode->getJointNode( "name" )->addChild( weaponmesh );

Also, you can take a look there -> http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=30682
Acki

Re: Attaching meshes to bones in game

Post by Acki »

Lambda wrote:Yes, you can call meshnode->getJointNode( "name" )->addChild( weaponmesh );

Also, you can take a look there -> http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=30682
he wants it the other way, create a mesh and attach bones to it
(so the subject is misleading, it should be "Attaching bones to meshes in game")... :lol:
and this is not possible with Irrlicht, I think...
also it must be possible in some way, because the mesh loaders also can do it,
or how do they create meshes with bones !?!?! :shock:
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
JP

Post by JP »

i guess it's possible for irrlicht but not for irrlicht users, i.e. creating bones is private to irrlicht so not accessible to users of the library. If you want access you can always make it public by editing the irrlicht source, probably best to add some functions to smgr like create/addBone.
Image Image Image
Daystar

Post by Daystar »

JP wrote:i guess it's possible for irrlicht but not for irrlicht users, i.e. creating bones is private to irrlicht so not accessible to users of the library. If you want access you can always make it public by editing the irrlicht source, probably best to add some functions to smgr like create/addBone.
so what ur saying is that I would have to figure out how to make bones in the format im using?
DayStar
JP

Post by JP »

No, you'd just have to expose the irrlicht functions that create bones, i.e. look though the source code and see how irrlicht creates bones when loading skeletal meshes and then allow those functions to be used outside of irrlicht.
Image Image Image
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Or better ask Luke about his plans. I think he's going to expose some more functionality.
Daystar

Post by Daystar »

Thanks all, I PM Luke and he told me how to do it thanks. When I get it working Ill post my code.
DayStar