Project Ninja Star - help wanted - ported to windows on 26th

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
fennec

Post by fennec »

Lets say you do find a network guy, savegame guy, AI guy, game developer guy and shader guy to work for free; what would stop them from firing your ass and making their own game?

The inconvenient reality of developing your brainchild is you must be the most capable and indispensable member of any team you assemble. Only people dumber than you will work for you.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

That's not necessarily true. Rich, dumb guys who inherit a lot of money can hire smart people to work for them. It's practically the cornerstone of the capitalist economy.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
fennec

Post by fennec »

True, but any rich dumb guy who funds you would still insist that you make a game, and he might have opinions about what it should be about. And you, the noob developer, still don't know how to program.

Then it's just a matter of how much you can embezzle before the project goes bust. Which is awesome in it's own right, but it still wouldn't help you making your dream game.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Dorth wrote:Yeah, I think everyone was waiting for cg to mature so that we all throw ourselves on it... And since the version 2, it seems to be mature enough.
CG was developed before GLSL, and right alongside HLSL, so it's not a matter of maturity. I stay away from it personally because of the ties to a single GPU vendor (CG code generated for ATI is not as well optimized as for NVidia cards).

CG/GLSL/HLSL are going to become obsolete anyway once OpenCL comes into play.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
fmx

Post by fmx »

wow, I didn't know OpenCL existed :shock:
it really would change the way we're all using shaders right now.
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

BlindSide wrote:CG was developed before GLSL, and right alongside HLSL, so it's not a matter of maturity. I stay away from it personally because of the ties to a single GPU vendor (CG code generated for ATI is not as well optimized as for NVidia cards).
Hmmm. Is that still the case? Anyway, I guess the way around that is to use the HLSL compiler for non nvidia targets.
BlindSide wrote:CG/GLSL/HLSL are going to become obsolete anyway once OpenCL comes into play.
DirectX 11 will have a Compute Shader for GPGPU, but DX11 isn't here yet. How far away is OpenCL and what hardware will it require? I assume we'll be needing Cg/HLSL-type shaders for quite a few years to come.
frostysnowman

Post by frostysnowman »

P.S. I dont see much difference between C and C++
devsh, you call yourself a "preacher of the free software idea" but you don't know anything about programming software, and therefore there's no way you can understand the motives of the free software movement. I've seen a lot of kids like you, talking about how GODLY linux is and how EVIL Microsoft is, when you haven't even BEGUN to form your own opinions on this. You're like a wannabe follower of rms. I point and laugh at you, sir.

Related to your actual game- you're getting no where with that until you know what you're getting into.
Last edited by frostysnowman on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

hmm well i think i'm going to close/delete this post.
cause you're all frustrated and projecting your frustration at me.
let me just share a thought with you, if you are going to drag someone down... dont speak
Are we in central europe, cause i heard they like to drag people down and humiliate them whenever they have an idea.
and just btw i learned so far that it's no good revealing your age.
i will either delete this thread or close it, if i can. But i will certainly stop posting, at least untill 2010 when Ninja Star will be known among other free games such as Nexuiz or America's Army.
Just about windows, suck my balls. my age ain't a reason to deny my experience and nullify my opinions. I am FULLY QUALIFIED to say windows sucks, because i was reinstalling it on a 4 month basis, since the age of eight (or nine? anyway around the win ME period). BECAUSE OF HOW CRAP IT WAS!!! and i had pleasure of using both conterfeit and legal (which was sent to me by M$ after i told them i failed GWA or whateva its called). The recovery disc of win Me stopped working the fifth time.
I'm using ubuntu since 7.10 AND I NEVER HAD TO REINSTALL UBUNTU. I upgraded from 7.10 and then to 8.04 and then 8.10 VIA INTERNET I WOULD LIKE TO SEE WINDOWS do that.
just by the way i'm not a n00b because apart from using ubuntu i used DSL and knoppix (but that was a long time ago and thats what made me go "eww!" to linux for 3 months)

P.S. Windows sucks, their security was an after thought. And without UNIX you wouldn't have C or C++. That means no irrlicht.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

awwww, don't get too upset when you feel you are being 'put down' just because you're a teenager. Learning how to program won't take that long, though.

Why not make this thread your journal and post all your thoughts, opinions, bloggy comments here? I'm sure they will stay off of your thread later on.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

yeah I would love to see how you go through all the required process on game development. write a blog or something. other people might give you some tips or constructive comments as well.
But i will certainly stop posting, at least untill 2010 when Ninja Star will be known among other free games such as Nexuiz or America's Army.
and don't tell the conclusion too early man cause many of us said the similar/same thing when we were younger. just try hard and do your best! 8)
frostysnowman

Post by frostysnowman »

devsh wrote:hmm well i think i'm going to close/delete this post.
let me just share a thought with you, if you are going to drag someone down... dont speak
Are we in central europe, cause i heard they like to drag people down and humiliate them whenever they have an idea.
and just btw i learned so far that it's no good revealing your age.
i will either delete this thread or close it, if i can. But i will certainly stop posting, at least untill 2010 when Ninja Star will be known among other free games such as Nexuiz or America's Army.
Just about windows, suck my balls. my age ain't a reason to deny my experience and nullify my opinions. I am FULLY QUALIFIED to say windows sucks, because i was reinstalling it on a 4 month basis, since the age of eight (or nine? anyway around the win ME period). BECAUSE OF HOW CRAP IT WAS!!! and i had pleasure of using both conterfeit and legal (which was sent to me by M$ after i told them i failed GWA or whateva its called). The recovery disc of win Me stopped working the fifth time.
I'm using ubuntu since 7.10 AND I NEVER HAD TO REINSTALL UBUNTU. I upgraded from 7.10 and then to 8.04 and then 8.10 VIA INTERNET I WOULD LIKE TO SEE WINDOWS do that.
just by the way i'm not a n00b because apart from using ubuntu i used DSL and knoppix (but that was a long time ago and thats what made me go "eww!" to linux for 3 months)

P.S. Windows sucks, their security was an after thought. And without UNIX you wouldn't have C or C++. That means no irrlicht.
I was refering to your position on the free software movement, not on your position of windows. Ubuntu is a fine operating system, I've used it before. And you do have the right to claim that Windows sucks. What I criticized you for is preaching the free software movement when you're motives for it are to show people that you're cool, instead of from alegitimate motive.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

As a windows user i consider myself, i must say this. It all depends on how you use your machine, how cautious you are, and what knowledge of windows you have. If you do use your computer with responsibility, windows doesn't fail like that. People just hate it because it is not free, well, i don't hate it. I think it is worth, and if you're clever enough to care for it a bit, you won't need to reinstall it on a 4 month basis. I haven't done it ever, since i built my computer. And works like the first day, more than 2 years from now.

Won't enter in the discusion of which is better, but windows is not that bad.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
psychophoniac

Post by psychophoniac »

devsh wrote:hmm well i think i'm going to close/delete this post.
wrong. i live in central europe.
and i think those people don't want to drag you down, they were just telling their opinion, or weren't they? their posts were no personal attacks, they just wanted you to leave this "kid" image behind, and stop dreaming about this, to see the real facts & problems...
(what i mean is this "CS-Kiddie-that-wants-to-learn-writing-games-without-bothering-themselfes"-style that your "announcement" has, it makes people rather laugh than take it serious.)
devsh wrote: [...]at least untill 2010 when Ninja Star will be known among other free games such as Nexuiz or America's Army.
if you change the whole concept (not the game-C. but the way you seem to work), think like an adult, learn proper C++, gamedesign and facing problems, maybe.
devsh wrote: Just about windows, suck my balls. my age ain't a reason to deny my experience and nullify my opinions. I am FULLY QUALIFIED to say windows sucks, because i was reinstalling it on a 4 month basis, since the age of eight (or nine? anyway around the win ME period). BECAUSE OF HOW CRAP IT WAS!!! and i had pleasure of using both conterfeit and legal (which was sent to me by M$ after i told them i failed GWA or whateva its called). The recovery disc of win Me stopped working the fifth time.
re-installing windows is usual to most of the users, i think ^^ that's no bad bug or something, it's a feature in windows!
-> my PC runs for almost 1 year now without re-installing it, Mel is right!
(and btw i don't know how much money i earned in the past for re-installing other peoples windows ! :P )
devsh wrote: P.S. Windows sucks, their security was an after thought. And without UNIX you wouldn't have C or C++. That means no irrlicht.
this is SUCH a senseless sentence here.
i love skateboarding!
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Also, WinME? Really? And you wonder why it was bad? Go for Redhat then, it'll be fairer as a comparison. Why not Bob while you're at it.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

yes i tried 4 distro's, and i will probably give RedHat and SUSE a go. I try them not just to show off with knowledge and say i tried them. I need a user-friendly distro like ubuntu, so i dont waste time on my desktop, But i need a light distro like Damn Small Linux on my stone-age commy.

Just BTW IM that another Kiddie-who-doesn't-know-any-language-at-all I know a bit of C++ and C but i'm getting confused what types and features are available in each. I'm not confident with it, I know how to program douche whoever said that.

Yes Microsoft is EVIL cause you made money out of people's problems and M$ is making those problems by making a shitty OS.

P.S. Our start is delayed, because i need to get another C++ scripter up to standard. And Tom is allowed a second chance, but he must make a very good model and with very good textures. One person will probably join us to rewrite shaders after conversion. As for me, to make myself familiar with C (not C++) i will resume my project to mod Nexuiz in order to make it playable in split screen. The modding the engine part is the one i want to finish. Nexuiz itself is written in QuakeC, and when i finish the mod of the ENGINE with Josh, i might consider going onto fixing problems that are nexuiz related, like only one set of HUD being displayed in the wrong place and wrong size (because it's placed in the game screen for 1 player not 2)