Shards (Irrlicht on the iPhone) - with View Preview

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

@cecil0812:

No, there is no port as such. This is simply an addition to Irrlicht (an opengl-es driver) for rendering on systems (usually mobile devices) which have an opengl-es implementation (iPhone being one of them).

If your interested in using Irrlicht on the iPhone then take a look at obj-c++. Using obj-c++ you can compile both c++ and obj-c alongside one another, meaning you can make calls to both Irrlicht and the iPhone SDK in the same project, same files, same blah... ...infact a simple renaming of your obj-c source files is all that is needed(from *.m to *.mm).

Apologies if i've misunderstood where your coming from - seems there's been some confusion in some posts, with the words "port" and "driver" being thrown about.
Last edited by SwitchCase on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cecil0812

Post by cecil0812 »

Yeah, you kinda misunderstood but I also misunderstood what was really being done here and you answered that question :) It's not a port, but rather an addition and thus the Irrlicht code is still written in C++ which will compile just fine for the iPhone platform.

Does that sound right:? :)
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Another question:

For iPhone or OpenPandora you need to compile your App for ARM Processors, right?
Do you need to recompile the irrlicht.dll for ARM too, or will there be an ARM version of the DLL?

I have to port all DLLs i use to ARM first, right?
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

@cecil0812:
Yep, that sounds right. ;)

@Ethan:
Yes Irrlicht (as well as other libraries) need to be compiled specifically for the system it's intended to run on. It won't be a DLL though, since a DLL is a dynamic library specific to Windows, but the same concept applies.
cecil0812

Post by cecil0812 »

Is the current work on this in the SVN branch for OpenGL-es?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

In some way yes. I'll add the new code this weekend (hopefully this time for real - I have some code on my machine already...). But in the end the new driver and support for ogl-es will be in the branch until we merge it with the trunk and release a stable SDK with ogl-es support,
Sherry Haibara

Post by Sherry Haibara »

Any news on this? I'd like to know how the work is going :)

Sherry Haibara
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Always short of time, but now the ogl-es branch is somewhat started. It should compile and maybe also render something with the ogl-es emulators. iPhone still lacks a device (help :idea: )
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

@hybrid

If there's anything you need a hand with, I'd be happy to give some help. I don't have much time spare either but I do work with the iPhone pretty much everyday so yeah yeah, give us a shout.

:P
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, the OSX/iPhone guys should check if they can work on the OSX device, or if a special iPhone device is necessary. A device does basically set up the main render window (using the basic OS functions) and does I/O handling.
Next step is to add the OGL-ES driver creation call into those devices and check that rendering happens inside the mentioned main window.

This should lead to a basic version which makes iPhone apps at least possible. The next steps are optimization and bugfixing, because we need to clean up the color problems most ogl-es platforms currently have (because ogl-es doesn't offer the BGRA extension Irrlicht relies on) and other stuff. But right now I'd be very happy with OSX/iPhone specific setup routines.
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

At the moment it seems to be failing to create the OGLES1 device... I'll have a look into this at some point tomorrow (I don't have a mac at home).
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

There's absolutely no code for the Mac specifically, yet, which has anything to do with OGLES1. I didn't update the createDriver methods or add any setup functions in the OSX device. I guess that we also need to add an OSX specific ExposedVideoData and stuff...
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

Ah I see.

I think that any OSX stuff we can get running using an OGLES1 device SHOULD also work on the iphone.... providing the OS specifics use only Cocoa and NOT Carbon.
Sherry Haibara

Post by Sherry Haibara »

Hmm, is there any news? :roll:

Sherry Haibara
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Any news on this?