need help! strange picker image

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
afecelis
Admin

need help! strange picker image

Post by afecelis »

Hi guys!

I created a level using the latest version of deled (which exports perfectly to .x) and added an fps cam and collision to it. Everything is working fine, the only weird thing I noticed was that when I walk in the negative direction of the x axis I get a small gray square when it crosses any shadow. I suppose it's the picker of my selector, but I'm not using any billboards on it so it shouldn't appear.
shots:

the test level:

the weird tiny gray square (check the shadow)

thnx for any help guys!
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

This does not answer your question but may be relevant.

Is it a gray square or is it the texture of the floor comming trough? I know it still should not be happining but it is a valid distinction.

Also is the square move with the camera or stationary in the shadow.

One more question: does the square appear not in the shadow? I am wondering if it does and it is blending in with the ground.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

It's abosolutely relevant, Smileman!

you're right!

1.It's the texture underneath showing thru the shadow.
2. The square does move with the camera if you move along the shadow (following the shadow). Once you cross out of it it goes away.With dynamic lights, the square moves along as the shadow is animated.
3. The square ONLY appears in the shadow.

so you're damn right in your appreciations. you must know what I'm talking about.
There's a small video here, check the part where I look at the floor and the light passes and casts shadow. The square will appear and you'll see how it moves.

http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/video/delmap.zip

ps. Smileman, you got 13 more posts than I do now!! I owe you 13 more beers!!!
h ah ahha

:D
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

That is crazy werid. I looked at the video and here is what I can determine so far many of which you probibly realise yourself.

I am going to call the abnormality a box even though we know know it is not a box but the texture showing through.

1.) The box only appears in the shadow of the first(or last depending on how you look at it) column thing.

2.) The box moves in a slow circle(look in slow motion or frame by frame) . This circle is moving in an arc just like the light.

3.) Number 2 tells us that there is something(or the lack of something letting the light through at that point. A posibility is that a seam is not closes or a polygon missing. This is not likely becuase the arc of the box is not the same as that of the shadow. This means that the cause of the box is probibly not at the same location as the pole. This also does not really make since because it is the absense of a shadow and not an extra shadow being cast. I think the problem would have to be a polygon missing or a seem that is not closed(or a glitch in Irrlicht or the importer)

The way to find when the problem is to go behind the pole that is the problem, the first or last pole in this case. Be behind the pole but in front of the light and looking at the shadow. Estimate the position of the sun based on the shadow when the box appears. Follow that line down to the pole and look for a hole or other posible problem or look in back in your editor at that same spot.

Also you could make a simple program that moves a box that cast a shadow and move it around the pole until the box disappears. In fact you might be able to fix it by adding a box in just the right place inside the pole so as to never see the shadow. :D
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

Arrrrggghhhh. Wait wait wait a hole in the model would not make any since because the box stays the same size and does not change as the shadow Moves. If it was a hole the shape of the box would change perspective, I think. It may just be too late at night to be thinking about these things.

Still try to find the location of the problem the way I described. :D
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Thnx for replying Smileman!

I uploaded a new video with the light stat¡c which shows the problem better.

1. The box (hole) appears in every shadow. Check the video
2. The box moves with the camera now, as you follow the shadow's path. You can even see the tiles' grout thru it.

video here:
http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/video/delmap01.zip

I also thought it could be an OpenGL issue so I recompiled using DX9 but now the opposite is happening: I get a black square that shows up on non-shadow surfaces and becomes "transparent" when crossing a shadow. I think it's gotta do with my selector and collision code.

and yep, we'd better catch up some sleep and re-think it over tomorrow

thanx for helping anyway!
Last edited by afecelis on Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

hmmm I see what you mean. I was seeing things that were not really there. I will have to think in the morning. I can not seem to see how you would be doing collision code that would effect the shadow like that but maybe in the morning, or afternoon rather. :)